Author Topic: Did a train under the Christmas tree this year.  (Read 22190 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Did a train under the Christmas tree this year.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 04:07:53 AM »
There are so many variations of the 650/2650 freights, especially the ones made during transition years, 1935 and 1940. I try not to collect them, but agree with Terry, can not resist when I see one that I do not have. Same thing with the 800-series 4 wheel cars. I keep trying to "thin-out" but once you have this habit, it is impossible to kick.   

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 04:25:21 AM »
I finally got the badly damaged Lionel prewar 655 finished. Now that I'm done, I wish I had soldered the damaged end to the sides from the inside. However, I'm still really happy with what I ended up with. I have it running around the Christmas tree with the other two 655's.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 01:57:28 PM »
That looks nice. I haven't done any painting in a while.

When I was young I took the frames from 654 tank cars and painted them red. Then I put Circus wagons on them. You could do Christmas on them, and wouldn't need to use only tank cars. I did tanks because I used the tanks for a tank farm.  I think the tanks are on my O guage layout.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 03:59:03 AM »
A video on youtube of the trains I've gotten from Jim for my Christmas tree train. I've never been disappointed with my purchases from JDPLTD.  I had gotten a Lionel prewar 259E engine last year. struggled to get it running. But it's turned out to be a great under the tree train. I didn't have a freight cars. I saw Jim had three Lionel 655 cars. After I purchased then from Jim I asked if you have any caboosesssss please include them and let me know what I would owe you. He sent me 8 cars at a super good price.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 04:43:42 AM »
Thanks Jack, glad they worked for you.

Your video was removed from this site???

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2022, 04:55:12 AM »
Sorry Jim. Had a big problem. I had to delete the video. Replaced with another one.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2022, 07:08:15 PM »
That looks great. You are missing the gateman.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 12:05:23 AM »
help me Terry. The Gateman? Is that the little guy that comes out waving a lantern when the train goes by? Santa did give me one of those back in the 1950’s. However,  I never got that back when my sister got my trains for her son.

I did see another 655 on EBay for $ 14.00. It’s damaged like the other one I got but not as bad. I bought it to get the hand brake & latter. I saw a latter for the 655 but it was $ 12.00. For $ 14.00 I got both the latter and hand brake times 2.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 02:25:59 AM »
Gatemen:

The one on the right is from 1935 and has "a darker shade of green," composition man with two moving arms, embossed information on toolbox, and an open post.

The one on the left is from 1941-42 and has regular 45N green base - this is the 45 that gives the shade of green it's name, plastic man with one moving arm, decal on toolbox, and solid post. The gray post helps date the gateman. I don't think the finial is correct.

After the war, the gateman looks the same as the 1941 version, but the chimney is dropped.

The 1935 one is upstairs with a note saying the door stivks and will go onto my little o gauge layout under the Marklin. The other one is just here because I was thinking someone might spend big money for it in a ratty box on ebay.

I sell later gatemen in the shape of the 1935 one for $5 at train meets. I think there's one in the meet boxes, but it won't come out again until the 1st week of Jan.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 05:33:10 AM »
I had one for the early 50’s I think. Lost it over time. Not real sure what happened to him?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2022, 01:58:22 PM »
How many gatemen do you need? they are piling up here!