Author Topic: Did a train under the Christmas tree this year.  (Read 22085 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Did a train under the Christmas tree this year.
« on: November 22, 2022, 03:42:09 PM »
Show what train you have under your Christmas tree This year.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
Re: Did a train under the Christmas tree this year.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »
Nice. Speed demon as always.   ;D
You have the tree up already? 
You going to add anything else to the snow?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 08:02:41 AM »
I have put up more videos of all my Lionel 1700 streamline JR’s. Those video have some clever Models paper buildings. I’m currently working on a paper station that will be perfect for the JR’s.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 03:08:40 PM »
I used to run the 1700 sets around the tree with just a circle of 072 track. No straights so the train could fly.

They are neat.

For the sliding track, consider Johnson's Rubber Roadbed. It's like the American Flyer roadbed, but made for O gauge track.  I just checked downstairs, I have lots of extra O straight, but no extra 031 curve. It's adds weight and friction to the track so it doesn't slide around as much. For the track coming apart, pinch the rails together with dikes.

Here's Johnson's roadbed on some track:

Here's a sequence showing how to crimp the rail with a diagonal cutter to make the track stay together - my crimp is exaggerated so it shows up in the photo. You only need to slightly deform the tubular area of the rail.

Depending on the age of your track and how much use it's seen, you might not have to do all the rails on each section.

When I was buying the Johnson's roadbed on ebay I was trying to get it for under $3 a section postpaid. Ebay seems to be down  right now - maybe all those T-day shoppers! - just search for the phrase   -- Johnsons roadbed lot --

Maybe I'll set the tree up this year. 

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 01:23:21 PM »
You have a nice collection of them.
Looking good.  :)

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 05:38:04 AM »
Thank you Terry for the information. Looks like a good solution. James Flynn sent me some track clips. Took a few minutes to get a good process to use them. However once I found a workable installation of the clips the problem has been solved. I’ve not had a Christmas tree train in so many years I can’t remember when I did. The best part about using the prewar trains is they look so toy like. The 1700’s are perfect for the job. The one I’m running now is one I got on ebay for almost nothing. But came without a motor. Looked all over hell for a motor and could not find one. Finally I put a 229E motor in one. It runs super good and best of all, has a good O-zone smell!

I also had a 259E steamer under the tree with some 1700 like cars. It to looks real nice. Been spending allot of time just running it and having a cup of coffee with a bear claw. Great way to spent the early hours of a day.

Thank you CNJRR for the kind words on my 1700’s. My favorite one is the one I painted like an M10000. But while doing the video the motor was not happy. Might put the 229 motor in it and then service it’s old motor for the engine that currently has the 229 motor. 229 motors all super duper good motors.

Good to be back on the TRAIN99 forum. I’ve missed it. Good people here!!! Damn good forum.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 04:47:51 AM »
Great post Jack, good to see some activity. Hope that others will post their Christmas train displays, layouts or just anything train related!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 03:27:36 AM »
Thanks Jim. It’s been a long time sense I had a train around the Christmas tree. Been a long time sense I had a Christmas tree.

I did a video of the 229 motor in the 1700 I got years ago that came without a motor. That’s a sweet running 1700. Wish I could afford to get 6 more 229 motors for the other 1700’s. I try to get the 229 motor video up today.

I’d sure like to see other Christmas train displays on the posting? Come out you guys put some videos or pictures up here.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 04:30:00 AM »
Here is my video of the prewar Lionel streamline 1700 with the Lionel prewar steam engine 229 motor.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 04:02:52 AM »
Another nice video Jack. It sure runs smooth with the 229 motor.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 06:56:21 PM »
I've got some project cars coming that are prewar Lionel. I wanted to get some freight cars to go with the 259 steamer. Found some nice cars on James Flynn's web site. Looking forward to getting them and adding to the 259's consist.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 02:00:39 PM »
Hope the cars work out for you.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 05:29:29 AM »
Guess I'm now a prewar collector also. pretty much starting from the beginning. I have a 259 but just one tank car and 3 passenger cars. I ask the CFO (Mr. Benjamin) of the S&B RR for funds to add to the rolling stock roster. He approved the upgrade, and I got two more tank cars, three cabooses & 3 655 box cars.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 07:18:04 PM »
I used to collect those smaller cars. I had over 200 different ones. I was just telling a freind that I cannot walk past a pile of them at a show without checking for ones I haven't seen before. They draw me in.

They are well made yet cheap. You can't go wrong with a string of them.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 03:30:26 PM »
Two of the cabooses where rough. The paint needed attention. I have the 2657 strip and primed. It will get paint and the oven tomorrow. The 608 is apart but needs sand blasted. I hope to do that in the morning. The weather here in beautiful downtown Hudson Florida is perfect for blasting and painting right now.