Author Topic: When Did Madison Hardware Start Buying Obsolete Trains?  (Read 10742 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
When Did Madison Hardware Start Buying Obsolete Trains?
« on: December 04, 2022, 06:07:15 PM »
I've been looking for information about when Madison hardware started buying the defective and obsolete trains from Lionel. We know Madison had lots of stuff they fixed up and sold during World War 2 - here's a link for photos of most of the Madison wartime  items.

I saw a brochure or mailer that Lionel sent out offering trains at big discounts on obsolete trains in February 1934 on eBay. Pete Charles let me post photos of it here.

Lionel was using the 4U sets as contest prizes into the late 1930s. This folder shows how the expected demand for the bild-a-locos didn't materialize. These were last cataloged in 1929.

The rest of the items are either IVES leftovers or obsolete Lionel items.

So this might say Madison wasn't buying obsolete trains from Lionel in 1934.   Was this because Lionel was in bankruptcy at the time and couldn't do special deals, or maybe because with the depression on, Madison didn't have the cash flow?

QUESTION --  was Lionel selling items in their showroom to the public as a regular thing? 

Are there any ads offering trains for sale to the public at the Lionel showroom in the teens and twenties?

early0electric

• View Profile
Re: When Did Madison Hardware Start Buying Obsolete Trains?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 08:24:49 AM »
According to Paul Kovaks White Street Book, he says Madison Hardware became a Lionel Distributor in 1909. Also Lionel sent them there old, obsolete, unfinished, etc, etc. See page 8 of the book. Like a warehouse for everything Lionel didn't want or need and kept it up through the years.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 07:38:04 PM »
Oddly, I spent a few hours on the phone with Paul Kovacks last Saturday.  I even mentioned seeing this 1934 Lionel advert to him. In his book, Paul speculates that Madison made the 1910 pullmans.

One of the things Paul and I discussed concerned the different factories and the trains produced there.

The 1910 pullmans might have been made by Madison while the rest of the tooling was being sent to New Haven. Once New Haven was set up the knob roofed 18/19/190 were made in Connecticut. We didn't talk about 1910 pullmans, but it makes a great example.

One thing we did talk about was the question of the square cabs. The square cab locos were first made in New Haven.  Were they ever made in Irvington?  Ignore the 53 for this point as they continued through 1919. There are square cab locos -  1910,1911, and 1912 with features that date them from after 1913.

Here's a 1912 with Oval Lettering, no monitor roof and stamped steps.

Paul suggested that the unfinished square cabs ended up in boxes at Irvington and weren't assembled and sold until years later.  This is because in NJ they set up the tooling to do round cabs.

A round cab loco is made with a press. A square cab is made with a brake and shears. The square cab is more labor intensive and based on my two years of high school metal shop results in more errors.

It makes sense that the Lionel in house service department would have assembled the obsolete items and then sold them in the show room. In Ron Hollander's book he says the repair people were very busing in the fall and winter, but bored in the spring and summer. This would have been an easy way to keep the service staff working and earning.

I think there were two periods were the service staff cleaned out obsolete items. The first is the 1915-17 period when the square cabs with ovals and the odd trolleys were made.

The second period would be 1923-27 when the pea green, peacock, mohave and red locos in both gauges were made. In standard gauge you can look at the binding posts to spot these. 

This is why I want to know when Madison started buying rejects and obsolete items. Based on looking at the trains, I think the date will be in the mid 1930s. Certainly after 1927.

PS when I wrote the part above about the brake I tried to think of Lionel items made with a brake from after 1915. Can you think of an example?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 04:14:57 AM »
Only Carl or Lou would know for sure. I was lucky to visit Madison twice in the 1980's. On the last trip, and I can't remember if it was Carl or Lou, but he let me play "stump that part" with him. I would ask for a certain part , such as a Blue Streak vestibule, or a OO Hudson pilot. He would send (Joey?) through the narrow door next to the parts drawers and in a few minutes he would appear with the part. There were still trains stacked on upper shelves to the ceiling like cordwood. I remember seeing the ends of everything from Standard Blue Comet cars to postwar Geeps. Fond memory. 

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 04:57:50 PM »
WOW, look at the prices!
If I only had a time machine.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 12:34:09 PM »
Yes a time machine would come in useful, but it would have to come with a trailer to hold all the stuff we would buy.