Author Topic: Made a camera car  (Read 11923 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Made a camera car
« on: June 16, 2021, 04:39:28 AM »
Seeing the videos that Jim makes I thought I'd try a camera car. I got several cars for this and decided that the postwar Lionel 2411 would do the best job. I hope to give it a go later today.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Made a camera car
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 05:05:48 PM »
Is the camera mounted on a velcro pad, looks like it. This is a good idea so you can change the angle of the camera. You may find that aiming the camera inward a bit helps control the rest of the room from being in the video. I also aim it down to avoid getting the ceiling lights, for this you may need to add a second velcro pad at the front end of the car, so the camera car is not in the video. Also remove the car end-railings, if you have not already done so.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 06:42:10 PM »
Thanks for the information. Yes - the mount is mounted on Velcro. I also got a short bolt to hold the GoPro to the mount. The bolt that comes with the GoPro hits bushes and stuff as it runs down the track. Now I need as much track as you (Jim) has.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »
I was just checking this thread to see if I could mount a camera the same way. I can do that.

I fixed the 622 switcher that my dad had when he was a kid and broke one of the side rails. Seeing that car made me think maybe the endrails will make a good fit.

Back to the camera - you can see the camera on your phone screen. With the right adapter you can run MTH trains with your phone. I don't have the patience to learn new stuff like MTH protosound so I'll leave the rest to you all.

One last idea - mount a cheap tablet connected to the camera above the control panel so you can watch from the train as it runs around.

In fact, Thom's layout has cameras spotted around the layout with small CRT monitors mounted above the control panel. We did that in 1999 before there were cheap flat panels. I don't think Thom ever uses them. Just too much interference.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 03:42:33 PM »
I’m sure having fun with the camera car. Been messing with it all day. Once I think I’ve got what I want I have another thought? Working a video right now.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 05:04:32 AM »
Made a video with the camera car. Worked very well that's to Jim's advise about putting washers between the trucks and frame of the 2411 Postwar Lionel flat car. Plus removing the hand rails at both ends of the car.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
You all know that they sell Mini cameras to mount on the trains?
They are real small. And not too expensive.

romiin

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »
  I enjoyed that video pjdog. Too cool

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »
Thanks for that Loco