Discussion Boards > General Discussion

Searching for trains on eBay

(1/7) > >>

Terry:
I use a computer with a big monitor to search ebay for new trains for the collection.

I am curious about what devices you use. I get questions about my listings that must be coming from phone users.  Today on the phone I was told I needed to check my listings on my phone to see what my gallery images look like.

Here's my listing for a Santa Fe F3 in ebay's phone app.

My listing is the $150 one in the middle. The app forces shoppers to scroll down past 4 sponsored ads for lionel related crap and click to read past the first paragraph break in the description. 

I also checked with the google chrome browser, and it appears about the same.

People actually drop hundreds of dollars on trains using their phones?

My other question is how do you search? I have bookmarked searches set up for what I collect that I check for new listings a few times during the day with the hope I'll find great deals on buy it now items. I get something just often enough to keep doing it.

Those searches also bring up all the O gauge listings on eBay I want to look at. I also look at all the "lionel" listings in the standard gauge category ending in the next 11 days once a week. I can't search for the cars or 5,6, and 7 steam locos because there are too many results. Right now there are 2615 results for the search "Lionel 16"

I don't think anyone sits like we did 20 years ago and looks at everything in the categories.  How do you do it?

starfire700:
I just searched Lionel 16 and got 1056 results, most not what I am looking for
I searched Lionel 16 ballast car and got 2 results, plus similar results
I searched Lionel 16 dump car and got 13 results, most not what I am looking for
I use a desk top computer almost exclusively, for searching, but admittedly I am not searching for much these days. I click on Advanced then find items. Worst option would be Best Match, as that is what Ebay wants you to see. Best Match is ebays method of hiding listings and promoting the ones they want to. It doesn't seem like a good business model to me to hide some of your vendor's merchandise!!!!
I never search on phone as it only displays incomplete info. I think our age group uses desktops and laptops mostly, but we do find more are using their phone. We get a lot of dumb questions such as what gauge is your O gauge tender......seriously. Maybe new users that are just stupid, or because of incomplete info on the phone app. I could go on, but won't.
Debby found a website that features trains of all makes.
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/model-trains/overview/auctions click on this, save as a favorite. You can select the train brand you are looking for. Not sure how they choose items to feature.

Terry:
One of my freinds told me yesterday that eBay shows different results for the same searches. I know my searches find interesting things, and I have enough that missing a few items won't bother me too much.

I'm doing the switch over to managed payments this week. eBay is offering me $150 to switch over by Friday midnight. Turbolister won't work then, so I need a new program, and that requires a new computer.

Last week I bought a train and when I paid, the payment failed. Ebay said to try again. After 4 trys I gave up. Turns out I'd paid four times. Actually 5 because paypal reversed the first 4 payments and I paid again on Monday.

When they dumped the category structure 3 years ago my listings suffered. I think this change will be just as bad.

I just want to see if I can change something else to cut down on problems.

I'm going to take it slow for the next few weeks. Spend time learning the new system.

I bought some great stuff on eBay last week, and even if there were train meets every weekend I could never do  the sales I do on eBay. I just don't like change.

starfire700:
Ebay does make a lot of changes, sometimes just for the sake of change, always for the benefit of ebay. In the early 2000's we were platinum power sellers. Since the new Casini system, may have it spelled wrong, but it changed searches and brought "Best Match" which is always the ebay default, our sales have declined. We are working harder and have more listings, but have steadily declined through gold, then silver, then bronze, now I don't think we are even that. Still better than selling at a show, but not as good as it used to be.

Terry:
I used to write a weekly article about eBay and doubt anything can compete with them. I know people are selling trains on Facebook. I don't mind the dog pictures, but I can't handle the politics and personalities.

There's a discussion board for old VWs. It's segmented based on types of VW and has classifieds for all kinds of parts and even whole cars.

It would be nice to grow this board like that, but the VW people average about 40 years old.  Based on the last LA show I attended, train people average about 75.

The LA club I belong to should be running a notice in this month's newsletter. I drive 875 miles round trip to go to their shows and hang out with them. They'll be a great addition here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version