Author Topic: Your Favorite Postwar Lionel Loco?  (Read 375 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
We have people that come in and look at the forum but then leave. Maybe this will interest you. . .

I don't collect postwar, but have some. I have my dad's GG1 and 622 switcher sets, and a NP geep set like the one I had a kid. Those are sentimental trains.

My favorite is this 2331 black and gold Virginian. I don't know why. I was in the original owner's garage with the loco in my hand and I decided to keep it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

What's your favorite postwar loco?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
I agree that the black/gold Virginian FM is a beauty to behold......but it is so hard to choose a favorite.
Here are a few of my favorites.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
I also collect the earliest or most unusual variation of postwar items.
The key to my interest in the SF and NYC 2333 F-units and the 622 is in the size and placement of the GM decal.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
The 671 and 2020 PRR Turbines have the early horizontal "Atomic" motor and smoke bulb. Also the 2020 has a printed keystone. not the usual decal.
The Irvington and Manhattan cars, though not locos are worthy of interest as they have brown paper type window strips.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
My dad's 622 has that GM decal placement. We never noticed, it was just the loco from his childhood.

The F3s are neat.

I have a NYC aba. 2354 A units and a 2344 B unit.

I like the turbines. I have a 682, but have been considering converting a smoke bulb unit to the regular heater for runnning purposes. I'd do the RS keystone like you showed.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Although I am primarily a prewar collector, I also collect some postwar. The 2338 Milwaukee Rd GP7 was the first Lionel loco that I received in childhood, so I have several 2338's and like this style loco so also have several other road names.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
The 2338 I received at age 5 or 6 was the standard black cab variation. I have several 2338's including 1 that is the orange cab variation.

rogruth

• View Profile
I have two favorites. A 221 grey with the light blue and silver passenger cars because it is a replacement for my first train from 1946.
Then I was able to get a 675 @ 1950 and it was just a great running loco. The loco I have now is also a replacement.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
The 675 and 2025 Pacifics are some of Lionel's best running locos, smooth and reliable. The 675's and turbines are some of the best smokers, also are good runners.