Author Topic: New Member  (Read 10130 times)

dgoodma

• View Profile
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
Hi, My name is Dan and I am 72. I like to repair and run O gauge Lionel and Marx engines. I am a member of the TCA Member number 01-53532. I am currently working on a 671 Lionel engine with a bad motor.  I was always fascinated with trains both real and toy.  In fact I used to live a few blocks from the Western Maryland and remember seeing passenger trains before WM stopped service.  I only have room for a 6 by 8 foot layout where I run 2 separate trains on 2 separate loops.  Around the loops I use mostly Dept 56 buildings.  I would like to have a bigger layout but my wife has put an end to that idea.   

early0electric

• View Profile
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
Hi Dan,
Welcome. You're doing better than me. I've only got a 3' x 5' single loop.
Mike

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:50:40 PM »
Welcome aboard Dan.

A psychiatrist might say a smaller layout is a sign of balance in your life. Post some pictures of your layout.

I had a 3 1/2 by 4 foot layout for years. I used to change out everything but the track and the board.

I like the turbines because they are so dependable.  I once ran a turbine on a Christmas carnival display for 13 hours a day for 30 days.  I had to go over and change the brushes every 2-3 days. Based on the math we did when I was taking it down, the set went 1365 miles. The T shaped pins that hold the lead and trailing trucks ate into the trucks on one side because it always turned to the left.

I'm pretty good at fixing turbines, but suck at fixing steam switchers.

Terry

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:50:14 AM »
Welcome Dan,
This is Jim
I have many turbines, mostly early 671 and 2020's.
I volunteered a while back to help with repairs and troubleshooting.
Let me know if I can be of any help with your turbine.
You can start by telling me exactly what it does, or doesn't do when you put it on the track and power-up.
Also what model and vintage would help.
Regards, Jim

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »
I did train repairs for the local hobby shop for 40 years. Looks like you've got plenty of resources here.

dgoodma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »
I got the motor running on the 671. Has anyone replaced the brass gear on the wheel axle? If so, what is the procedure?

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 03:31:29 PM »
First thing you have to do besides removing the side rods and motor is remove the center wheel set directly in front of the rear wheel set that holds the gear or you won't be able to remove the drive wheel and axle because of the flange.

dgoodma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
Thank you.  It looks like I will need to press the axle and hope the brass gear comes off.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
Yes, you'll have to drive the axle through the gear to replace it. Don't forget to quarter the wheels when you reassemble.