Author Topic: Nothing to say  (Read 23513 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Nothing to say
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »
Thanks for that information Terry. I’ll look into that.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

romiin

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »
Don't you hate when they change a product for the worst.  It was probably cheaper to make the shitty spray head.  But I will definitely look into the graffiti spray head your talking about Terry.  Terry you sound like you have restored more than one or two projects, do you use a primer or just spray the paint on bare metal?   And also was wondering if you put thin coats on. Thanks Loco

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »
I only used primer when the color wouldn't cover well. For example the maroon on hiawathas came out a candy color on bare metal. The gray and orange covered well. I put a thin coat on, then a day or two later, did a thick coat.

Just a thick coat results in fish eyes. The first thin coat provides a uniform bonding coat, and if a fish eye develops in the first coat, I could scuff it and fill it in with a brush before the second thick coat.

I started repainting trains in 1977. Mostly just stuff to play with, a few peices a year. 

Then I repainted a lot of trains in the period 1989-2002. This was done for money. Back then you could make money doing it. I'd buy a 97 coal loader that was badly scratched for $10 and repaint it with the paint I had, and get a hundred for it. Or a City iof Portland set for $75-100 and sell it for $300 after painting it. I also did a lot of frames and steam chests on steam locos.

I used custom matched automotive enamal that the store packed into spray cans for me.

I stopped doing restorations when my business took off, and the prices of repaints went down. In about 2002 the prices for good repaintable trains went up because of ebay, but the selling prices of repainted trains dropped.

romiin

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2020, 05:59:08 PM »
thanks for the info. Sounds like it is only really worth it, to do it for yourself.   I did have a can or two of auto paint made up one time  at a parts store, If I remember right they did spray really nice. Might look into that.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 04:11:32 PM »
I am not a painting expert but some primers are not compatible with other brand paints.
If your using Rustoleam I would stick with a Rustoleum primer, the same for Krylon.
A lot of paints in a rattle can are now top coat & primer.
I have recently been using Krylon black, primer and top coat, not on trains but I like the results.
By the way Krylon is a product of Sherwin Williams. Sherwin Williams took over Valspar products too.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 03:29:22 AM »
Krylon has changed the spray head on there ’ MAXX ultimate coverage’ can. The head on that can was red with a brass tube up the center. It delivered a fine spray. It did a beautiful job. Now they have a cheap head the spits paint. Really sucks.

Terry was saying the you can get replacement heads with different spray abilities. I did look them up but as of yet I’ve not tried any? There are so many different heads I didn’t really know what to get. I tried to swap out a good head for one of the new heads but could not get the good fine spray head off the old can.

Best to use a airbrush if you want a real good job. I’m getting to old to fuss with it! I’m getting acceptable results so far.

Having allot of fun with the Lionel 1700’s. I keep looking for 1700’s that need a new home but at a good price. There are some on EBay but way over priced. They also look real nice which is why the price is high. 
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog