Author Topic: An odd Postwar Trestle Bridge  (Read 6899 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
An odd Postwar Trestle Bridge
« on: October 24, 2020, 12:35:35 PM »
I got this bridge the other day from the original owner.

I thought it was a Junior Bridge when I saw it, but I looked at it closer after I got it home and it's not. The metal is too thick and it's constructed with rivets rather than spot welds.

The gusset plates are stamped and have holes for the rivets. Here's some close ups of the construction:

There are holes in the bottom of the bridge that line up with Lionel track.

I got this with an assortment of postwar Lionel trains. The oldest was a 1948 era 2026 loco; newest was a 44-tonner from the late 1958. That's why I date this as a postwar bridge.

Based on the way it's made, I bet it was manufactured rather than a one-of-a-kind made by a father. I've never seen  this before.

Here's some pictures with Lionel 315 and 316 trestle bridges:

It's the same 2 foot length as the Lionel bridges.

Here it is with an American Flyer bridge:

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
Re: An odd Postwar Trestle Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:20:27 PM »
Could it be a Colber?
This is one is, not the same but has rivets, strange yours has no upper crossbeams.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: An odd Postwar Trestle Bridge
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 02:40:45 PM »
The weird one is held together by rivets. Three sections: two sides, and a bottom. Check out the top pictures I posted. They aren't embossed ornamental rivets.

It's certainly a Junior Bridge. Maybe just an early Junior bridge, or a mock up. Maybe the spot welder was broken and they needed to fill an order so they used rivets?