Author Topic: Interesting Auction Items  (Read 227706 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Interesting Auction Items
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2022, 06:40:17 PM »
I was talking with a freind about the harris auction for the #8 trolley. He said it had been bid up to $1900, but I only saw $650.

He was on the harris site, I was on liveauctions. I figured maybe they update across the sites daily, but now more than 24 hours later the descripancy is still there.

Here's the Harris site right now:

https://bid.harristoytrainauctions.com/lots/view/5-DAZ89/lionel-prewar-standard-gauge-8-pay-as-you-enter-trolley

Here's Liveauctions right now:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/135121573_lionel-prewar-standard-gauge-8-pay-as-you-enter-trolley

The liveauctions page shows I bid $900. I did this to see what would happen. The liveauctions page changed to reflect my bid, the harris page did not.

A few months back, Brian Miller posted about having bids ignored. Years ago, I bid on a Bertoia auction, and thought I'd won because it sold for  less than my bid. I didn't win that and was told they had never recived the bid from Liveauctions or Invaulable whoever the were using at the time.

These websites being poorly integrated might explain the problem. I try to bid direct with the auction house. Sometimes - Bertoia is an example - the house charges a lower buyer premium for direct bids.

One other point. . .  I watch some items and then see the hammer price change days or weeks after the auction ends. Recently, I wacthed one item sell for $300 on Invaluble, but it now shows $900.

Interesting. 

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2022, 08:31:15 AM »
I, too, have lost on Liveauctioneers with a higher bid than the hammer price.

Mike

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2022, 12:39:55 AM »
The prices on what I wanted on the latest round of auctions went HIGH!

Anyway, here's a neat 1916 Electro-Set Co. Catalog with 4 pages of Lionel trains inside it. The first page says:
We do not list the complete Lionel Line. We have chosen what we consider the best numbers and greatest values. No need of selecting from a confusing array of trains. Our wide experience has taught us what numbers make the best posible buy.

What salesmanship! None of the top or middle line Standard gauge is listed.

Here's some pictures:

I think they are all just regular cataloged Lionel Sets from the time with the -es  suffix added.

Here's the book on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255721670200

It looks like they are using the artwork for the cars on the wrong cars. A four wheel boxcar with IC lettering would be a great find. Drawing room on a 602? The New Haven 801 caboose does exist. Maybe the others are out there waiting for us to find them.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2022, 01:58:47 PM »
Terry,

Shoot - Sorry I missed out on this. I would have bid on it. Right in my wheelhouse! Wonder what else Dr PW is selling? See my latest article in the July TCA Quarterly for Catalog Queens.

Mike

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #289 on: September 18, 2022, 02:55:11 PM »
I didn't even see that was Paul.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Lionel boxed 158 set
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2022, 02:03:58 PM »
Here's a boxed 158 set with an interesting bridge. Usually those bridges are olive green. This is more of a pea green color. I've seen this green on Standard gauge bridges, but never noticed an O gauge one.

The tunnel also has interior walls which is harder to find, but doesn't add to the value.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144745252465

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2022, 08:43:11 PM »
I've always found these bridges to come in Pea Green. I don't know if I've ever seen one in olive.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2022, 11:10:19 AM »
I was wrong. They are all pea green, but some are lighter than others.

Here's three bridges with three shades of pea green:

The lower right hand bridge is the lightest color and dates from before 1927. Then it gets darker like the lower left bridge. The Hellgate in the background is lighter and dates from the early 1930s.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2022, 11:56:49 PM »
Here's something interesting:

Looks like a pair of repainted passenger cars with maybe an original peacock 33. The 33 has repainted cowcatchers and might being showing a bit of primer underneath so I'd say it's probably repainted.

Butr here's the interesting thing:

The box is an IVES 700 set for Wannamaker's.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/137563235_vintage-lionel-train-set?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #296 on: December 02, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
Here's an interesting car:

It's an early 802 stock car with the Lionel Lines stamp and number on one end. Looks like regular wheels. Missing the roof.

The stock cars are harder to find with the Lionel Lines stamp on the ends - mostly you find later cars with 802 on one end and the Corp. stamp on the bottom.

If this car had the roof it'd be a neat car for the shelf.

NOW CHECK OUT THE DOOR

It looks like one of the doors is painted green on one side and has the station or bridge base bubble paint on the other. I've never seen anything like that in Lionel. American Flyer and Marx used everything with no waste, but Lionel had standards. Interesting.

I'm not going to bid on this, but Mike might want it.

Here's the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144837696047

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #297 on: December 02, 2022, 08:02:34 PM »
It's Back by Popular Demand. . .

The Last time we saw this it sold for $850 in May of 2021.

Here's the description from 2021:

Very early possibly Standard Gauge Lionel Electric Rapid Transit Gondola Car. All original condition. Has what looks to be very early Lionel Trucks. Inside Gondola is painted the early looking Lionel yellow. Car is wood with brass construction. A great looking early train car we can't find any information on. Possible Lionel Prototype? 15" Excellent

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/lionel-electric-rapid-transit-gondola-train-car-126-c-8a14715bbb#

Now it's up for auction again with much clearer language about it being homemade:

Antique unidentified Electric Rapid Transit gondola with 1911 Lionel 10 series crimped trucks. The gondola measures 14 1/2 inches from one end to the other and 4 3/8 inches wide, it is constructed of wood and brass with what appear to be European couplers that would have worked with possibly a small bar in between cars or if another car had been made, maybe a tab that stuck into the coupler and pinned in. the lettering is all hand painted over red painted sides that show as yellow under a blacklight and yellow interior sides that show up as green under the blacklight. The piece was expertly constructed by a master craftsman where the brass pieces were drilled and tapped so that no screws would protrude inside OR outside. The base or frame is brass with a wood platform, the sides and rest of the body are all brass. It is hard to discount this piece as being insignificant historically but no other information can be derived from it as we have no access to the family that it came from.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/141922036_antique-unidentified-electric-rapid-transit-gondola-with-lionel-10-series-trucks

We'll see what it brings this time around.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2022, 02:02:36 PM »
Terry, I missed it! But believe it or not, this 802 was mine, or at least one exactly like it! I took it to York one year and showed it to Lou Redman. He wanted to hang on to it to study it and I never got it back. Now I know what happened to it. Thanks!

Mike

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2022, 02:10:01 PM »
Terry, I found another 1916 Electro-Set Catalog Like Paul had up for sale and bought it. It lists the 704 and 710 O Gauge Locomotives - Both Never Made.

Mike