Author Topic: My L shaped O gauge layout in garage  (Read 26104 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
My L shaped O gauge layout in garage
« on: November 16, 2020, 07:43:18 AM »
I have a small layout in my three car garage. Mostly post war stuff. I do have modern engines also. I love my 2016 Lionel Mikado. It pulls like a Mack truck. And will pull very slowly.

Every time I try to post a picture it always tells me it's to large. So I thought I'd just put a youtube link of my layout. This is my smallest garage layout I've ever had. In 2012 I had 4 4X8 sheets of plywood. But now it's just 2 sheets. I'm almost always out in the garage early in the morning before my wife gets up.

https://youtu.be/k1E2zRTXZX8

Jack
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: My L shaped O gauge layout in garage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »
Here's information about posting photos:

https://www.train99.com/forum/index.php?topic=26.0

I'll add a youtube button later this week to make it easier to share videos.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
Nice action on your layout. Locos moving at realistic speed and lots of smoke chuffing. 

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 08:21:50 PM »
Nice industrial look. "L" shaped layouts are great!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 05:25:49 AM »
This is a video of the first O Gauge layout I had when I got to Florida in 2012. Just a simple flat layout. Three 4X8 sheets of plywood side by side. Indoor outdoor carpet. MTH realtrax.

https://youtu.be/UxkV_K0P7l4

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:35:50 AM »
I ran the Orange & Gray Lionel 1700 plus the Yellow & Brown Lionel 1700 streamliner's this morning. The light in the power unit of the Yellow & Brown seems to be struggling. I think maybe the ground is having a problem? Or could be a wrong bulb?

These little streamliner's are sure fun. Glad I found these while being at home and hopefully safe.

https://youtu.be/RUKGRaRKjZ4

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
Very Nice! Yeah, we all hope we're safe.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 04:43:04 AM »
New paint can cause a ground problem. Also, There is sometimes a copper strip mounted with the light bracket, that helps with the ground.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
I'll check that out Starfire. I'm thinking it's the bulb cause when I give in allot of power it lights up well?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 08:11:05 AM »
Ran the 726 this morning. It's got the wrong tender. It's a diecast 224E tender I think. Has 4 wheel trucks rather than 6 wheel trucks.

I also have the Lionel lionchief Hudson. But I'm legal cause the star of the show is the 726!

https://youtu.be/D1Praf0I5yc

Also ran the 671 Turbine. It's a good puller.

https://youtu.be/LK5KXYaW7LY

Tried to run the 1700's but they kept stopping. I cleaned the track and it got better but still they would stop sometimes. I guess there's something I don't understand about prewar. Maybe that's why it's hard to find a 1700 with an E-Unit. If I could lock out the e-unit they would be running fine, maybe?

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 09:19:43 AM »
Nice, the last video, are you working the throttle or are they speeding up and slowing down by themselves?
What the tractor trailer parked back there? A K Wopper?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »
Howdy CNJRR - The postwar and prewar trains have problems with speed as the table is not level. The floor drops on it’s way to the garage door. So they are going down hill. When going along the wall it’s up hill so the slow down. Modern locomotives maintain there speed but not so for the older trains. I don’t dare run the 1700’s along the wall to the door as they really take off. Scary?

I guess sense I was always running modern I really never noticed the level of the layout. I could level it but I’m working train right now. Probably will never level it?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 05:19:20 AM »
I leveled the layout table this morning. Makes a big difference. I don't know why I put up with that for 7 years? Thanks for the wake up CNJRR. I guess working on the trains was more fun to me. I love repairing and restoring old trains. Everything on my layout was rusting junk when I got it. Now I have removed the rust and put good paint on everything. A good feeling. Some people want it just as it was, some like them like new? Different strokes for different folks?

A year ago i was driving back from the doctors on highway 19. A real old Dodge pickup went by me that looked like it would fall apart. But it had all new stuff underneath. Then I noticed a the smooth sound of the motor. These guy who was very old had completely rebuild this truck but left the outside as it was. This thing was a beautiful truck. I really wanted to own it. Truck had a California plate on it and 2 very old people in it. A bumper sticker in the back window said. Being old is not for sissies! It was a great truck. I loved it! So maybe not repainting is a good thing?

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 03:08:02 PM »
I thought it was nice the way it was.
It automatically slowed down for the curve, then hammered down the countryside. :)

Brought my Old Peterbilt tractor to a truck show/race a Raceway Park, NJ. A drag strip.
For the truck show/races.
I parked down the end of the line along side a few buddies that where there and took a nap.
We were down by the finish lights, to us that was the best spot even though the burnout starting line was far away.

As I was sleeping an old guy with a flatbed tow truck pulled in with an old rack truck with a tarp on it.
This guy had installed a rocket engine of some kind on it! When he started it up my head almost went through the sleeper top!
LOUD.

Well that old guy finally got to run and we prayed for him that his old truck would hold together.
With a big burst of flame he flew down the track on fire, went by us at the finish line the speed of light.
He ran it once more and broke something but it was something to see.
I didn't take pictures back  then, I wish I did.

My Old cabover Pete 1977, 350 big block Cummins. 13 speed. 352 Model, all leather interior, Cherrywood steering wheel.  8)
Picture was taken in 1999 ish.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 04:13:09 PM »
Sweet Truck.

My grand father was a semi truck driver. He had a small trucking company in Collingswood NJ. The had probably 20 semi’s. I loved trucks. Every Friday night I’d stay a his house and we would get up at 6:00 AM and go to a dinner for breakfast. The high light of the day was I got to pick the tractor we would go in. My favorite was a Mack cab over (green). He had one that had solid rubber tires and was chain drive. I didn’t like it back then but sure would love to have it today. No pictures. Lost all those when he and grand mother died. They kept all this on there property.