Author Topic: Sand blasting  (Read 11450 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Sand blasting
« on: February 10, 2021, 05:44:23 AM »
I ran out of sand blasting material. Did a buy on EBay. The seller wanted me to send a text message telling they where I live for postage. Then wait for UPS to do there thing. I waited 5 days then finally sent a nasty text to the seller asking them what up? They said EBay was having problems for the last three weeks with there selling procedure???? I ask them to cancel the order. They did.

I guess I'd have to load the wife in the van and go to Home Pot but they would not answer the phone so I could be sure they had the material? They are out. Called Spring hill Florida to ask Harbor freight. They have the material but it's a drive and I have to leave the wife in the car? Scary!

While getting bolts, nut & washers at the local hardware I asked about blasting material> No they don't carry it but have sand box sand that may work. It's only $ 3.49 so I thought I'd try it. Had lots of trouble. The sand is dirty. work for one tenth of a second! Dumped all the sand out and ran it through a strainer. Got lots of crap out. Tried it again. Still nothing. Thought maybe I had jammed something in the hose. Used the air compressor to blow back into the handle and then she worked like a chain saw that was really mad.

$ 3.49.  wow- great. 675 is clean and ready for some paint.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Sand blasting
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 05:20:58 AM »
Blasted the 1673 passenger cars today. Getting them ready for paint. The sand box sand really works well. And only $ 3.49 for a 50 lb bag. It’s the best stuff I’ve worked with yet. Makes short work of the rust. Of course you must strain it first as there’s allot of trash in the sand. But for $ 3.49 a bag I’ll do the straining. Plus I don’t have to recover the blasting material to reuse!

Jim Cummings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:01:09 AM »
I've tried numerous blasting materials over the years and found sand can be very abrasive.  I use 80 grit glass beads.  I have great results all the time.  It may take a little longer to complete an entire car or engine.  It is more expensive than play sand, but I have seen it on sale at a local Northern Tool for around $8 for a large bag.  Harbor Freight is very high priced.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »
How many pounds is the 8 dollar bag? The play sand is 5o pounds. Works real well. I’ve not had any problems with it at all. Really does great on rust!

Jim Cummings

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »
it is either 40 or 50 lb bag.