Author Topic: Lost shipments in mail  (Read 25307 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Lost shipments in mail
« on: December 08, 2020, 04:56:55 AM »
Has anyone else had the mail (USPS) lose there stuff. I'm still waiting on a Lionel 1901 to 1942 Greenburg book. My friend in New York mailed allot of parts for my 5 Lionel 1700E restore projects. One of those items lost is a 1700 Motor. I've had 3 EBay purchases never show up. One guy on EBay said that was my problem and refused to refund the money? EBay showed him the error in his ways! I didn't know you could type those kind of words on the feedback. He was real upset over 15.99?

Anyway I hope you are all doing better than me. I forgot - thinking of getting a Lionel 259E. Saw one on another forum that someone (A Women I Think) had gotten at a thrift store for $30.00 and put $ 25.00 in it. So for $ 55.00 they had a super nice looking and good running prewar train for the Christmas tree this year.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Lost shipments in mail
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »
Lost shipments are rare. I've only lost one box sent to US  address in 22 years. That was a box sent to the wrong zip code that ended up in a different post office and the box holder kept it.

Anything sent by Priority mail has $50 or 100 of insurance on it. I don't know how they judge the claims, but the few I've had were paid without any contact after I filled out the online form.

The post office can be a mess.

I don't do parcel post anymore because I've had the boxes get buried and then the buyers complain daily that the tracking shows in transit. In one case, a woman in Texas had ebay get her money back from me and then got the Tonka truck a week later. She mailed me a check and was apologetic.

Don't be abusive to the sellers because the PO is screwed up.

I mailed LGB trains to the Jersey shore and they got to the regional sorting center in Philly, and then went to Puerto Rico. The first time this happened, it was funny. The trains were going on vacation. The second time it was a hassle, and the third time was the last time I was willing to deal with the buyer's complaints.

Now is the Christmas rush and the post office has surly temp workers. Give everything a chance to clear out. You have 30 days from the date of expected delivery to

The 259E is a great loco. Do NOT buy one with bad wheels. They are all 2-4-2 locos so if they don't have a trailing truck, it's been removed. The late body 258 is the same body with an 027 motor. Either in black is cheap. Really clean gray is a bit more, but still a bargain.

At some point you'll be after 1689 and 289 locos for your 1703 stream-liners. You should start looking for the 289E locos now. That's one of the most difficult locos to find.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 01:28:25 PM »
We're way backed up here in the Detroit area. The News showed a line of about 30 semi's waiting to pick up mail. I guess that's to be expected with all that is going on. I've got about a dozen packages in limbo right now dating back 3 weeks. Hopefully eBay and the recipients will understand the crunch. Don't need adverse feedback or penalties because of the delay.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/consumer/help-me-hank/2020/12/07/trucks-lined-up-outside-us-postal-service-mail-distribution-center-in-allen-park/

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
The 1700E package showed up today. I was really surprised because I was sure that one was a goner. Problem is the 1700 motor was not in the package. Called my friend (Bill) and informed him the PO delivered the parts. Then asked what happened to the motor. They are really getting hard to find. I heard some lip boggie but I think he said he could not find it in a timely fashion. He does have lots of stuff. He is very busy filling orders. His inventory on the computer said he has one but? So I'm on the hunt for a motor again. May even settle for a Marx if I knew what Marx motor to get? I know nothing about Marx.

When I was a kid in Indianapolis I remember going up tp the 5&10 store. Danners I think. They had glass bins full of Marx trains. The where all in different piles. Engines here, boxcars there, cabooses over here.

Book is still MIA.

Later - Be safe everyone.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »
I just had a second transformer destroyed in the mail. I'll get the price of the unit from the post office, but not the shipping.

I'm done. I'll sell little cheap crap though the end of the year.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 10:59:34 AM »
USPS came through today and delivered the Greenburg 1901 t0 1942 Lionel trains. I guess my lack of a college education is showing here as I'm now more confused than I was without the book.

I'll study it for a while. Looks like I have the wrong cars as the book says the colors where on the smooth sided cars. Just like Terry said.
Glad the book showed up. Tracking says the book is in Jacksonville Florida? So much for USPS tracking. I will say we have a very good mailman!!

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 09:59:38 PM »
Ebay buyers are getting antsy. Had one file a "pending claim" today. USPS has had the item in NC since Nov 29. Just not delivered

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 01:53:09 AM »
I've got the same thing with a box that has been sitting at the PHX sort facility since the 3rd. Hopefully it will start moving before eBay gives the buyer his money.

Also, I've been waiting for a box of handles for transformers for 8 days now. Maybe today.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 02:03:21 PM »
I've got items I've shipped before Christmas that have gone nowhere.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 03:45:29 PM »
I’ve been waiting for weeks. On a 1700 Parts package I ordered from a good friend in NY. I’ve had several packages from him arrive very late shipped USPS. So I stayed quite. Finally yesterday I thought I’d call Bill and ask him to check the tracking as I’m waiting to assemble a Chrome & red 1700. The one for the 229E motor?

When I asked him to look he got real quite??? Then apologize because he could not find the order? Well I’m real close to 80 years old and I’m having allot of trouble with short term memory. So I said I understand. Not a problem! Just make up my order and drive them down here? He laughed. Said he be here today!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
All my stuff showed up. The box of handles showed up on the 21st with a sticker from the post office saying delivery by December 7.

Oddly in past years, the PO paid insurance claims without question. I never had a claim over $40 and this year I had two in the mid $30 ranges. Both of the claims this year resulted in the post office sending me letters telling me to take the broken transformer and the original packaging to a local post office.

I already refunded the buyers' money and told them to throw out the transformers.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
They never lost a shipment for my orders. Anyone.....knock on wood.

Ordered paint brushes from Amazon and got an empty bag !
Like the driver didn't notice it was an empty bag? ! I noticed as soon as I looked at it sitting on the porch.
They sent another right away.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 05:50:55 AM »
We sell and ship a lot of trains, all by USPS. We had many packages get "stuck" from late November into early December. Tracking just stopped, as they were nowhere. We had to issue many refunds to buyers, and made claims to the PO, which they paid. However, most packages have finally moved, most have finally been delivered. Understanding buyers have re-paid invoices and we have returned many checks to our Postmaster. Due to Covid, understaffing, increased internet buying, political disruptions etc, the Post Office redirected huge amounts of packages to different destinations, warehouses and some just sat in semis. There was no tracking on these items for as long as a month, until they were dug-out and finally sent on their way.
Hopefully the PO will be able to anticipate holiday increases in 2021 and we will not have this problem again. As most of the issues were resolved, the main loss is in wasted time, and expense to the PO of processing refunds. We will never know how much business that we lost, because of buyer's fear of not getting their items. 

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 08:18:22 AM »
My USPS mail deliverers are pretty good, when I get a package they will ring my bell.
I also track and as soon as they deliver I get e mail notification.

Back in that time period was when the mail in ballots was going on?
During that time I got one delivery but the tracking didn't work at all, plus they didn't do the email notification.
It was just a toss and run, I think they were so busy with Christmas coming up and the mail in ballots and this damn virus with everyone buying on line that the USPS just told them to forget all that and just hurry.
Back to normal now.  :) At least for me.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 12:14:55 PM »
I read Jim's message and like the part about his buyers paying him after he refunded them because the boxes were lost.

I had a buyer pay me for a Tonka that got stuck in the mail a few years ago. She got the money back because if I didn't refund, eBay would have given it to her, and I would have been out the eBay fees too. She sent me a check when the truck showed up. 

I think that overall the people we deal with just want nice toys to play with.