Author Topic: Lionel 397 coal loader  (Read 11173 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Lionel 397 coal loader
« on: January 02, 2021, 03:59:22 PM »
I'm putting together a coal loader for my layout. I have an early one with yellow generator and a dark bronze gunmetal base. It has a red painted bin. It has no light pole on it, but does have two tapped holes to mount a light. It doesn't look like there were ever screws in the tapped holes. There's no hole for a wire to go through the base.

I have a light to mount on it. Is the light wired separately?

Here's a comparison with later base without holes and silver-metallic paint:

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Lionel 397 coal loader
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 07:17:39 AM »
My father bought me a Lionel 397 a long, long time ago when I was a kid. I don’t remember a light on it. In fact I’m sure it didn’t have a light.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 02:02:32 PM »
The first versions had yellow generators and lights.  This one has yellow generator and holes for light, but no light. Either the light was taken off, or it was sold without the light. Later versions had blue generators and no light or holes for the light.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 03:19:55 PM »
Mine had the blue generator, no light. Made allot of noise when operating. The coal belt cracked and fell apart. Dad got me a new belt and it took a hole Saturday to get it in.

There was a super Lionel dealer on the east side of Indianapolis. He had his store in his attic with a huge layout. I think it was on Michigan street heading east. I use to spend allot of time there. Can’t remember the stores name.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog