Author Topic: Terry's Layout  (Read 66205 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Terry's Layout
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2020, 03:19:32 PM »
Here's an article about the layout I just finished for the local newsletter:

Terry Builds a Layout.

Progress continues on the O gauge floor layout. The track is back down, but only the outer loop is permanently wired. The other two are just on lockons. I'm going around each circle of track and connecting feeders to the track, installing blocks, and adding insulated outside rails where needed for the streets and signals.

Here's some pictures of the layout as of October 11th.

The west end of the layout with the ladder to the passenger yard, the end of the mountain, the Schoenhut village and the backside of the transformers. That's a difficult to find prewar 027  Lionel 1022 tunnel.

This is the south side of the layout. The inner and outer lines just go through here. The middle line has passing sidings. My goal is to put trains on the sidings and use relays to run them in opposite directions. With the mountain blocking views from the north, you'll see trains running back and forth, but not the parking sidings.

At this point, I'm not sure I can get trains to run automatically. The switch machines just aren't reliable enough. The youngest of those switches is 78 years old. Those are the best switches I have mated to the best motors.

The southeast corner of the layout has a road crossing and gives way to the marsh with the bridges. To wire the trains and track near the edge and back to the diner is quite simple. I just stick some wire through a hole and reach under and grab it. For the areas farther back from the end, I have a 40 inch long copper rod I tape the wires onto.  This is a learning experience. When I jam the stiff rod though the layout, it snags on the carpet. Last night I realized a small bit of Masonite slid  under the hole would help.

Pictures 4 thru 7 show the bridges and the marsh area. I have a few dozen wonderful weeping willow trees to sick in here. Once I get the  face board on, I'll pour the Woodland Scenics water into the marsh and plant the trees.

The piers for the bridges were the result of a lot of time spent trying to figure out something that would look good that I could make with what I had. I ended up cutting a ¾ inch slice off a 4 by 4, and then using the slice as the base. It looks good. I have another bridge with a light somewhere.

In the last picture with the bags of water you can see I already cracked the side of the marsh. That's the only area of the whole layout where I didn't color the plaster. This happened because I was using old bags of layout material and the crap failed to set. I scraped the mold-a-scene off and then used whatever the bag was and got even worse results. In my frustration at having to redo it again, I forgot to add pigment to the plaster.

I cracked the marsh when I lifted the side of the layout to stuff a wire under the water area. You can see the 153 block signals at the bridge approaches. I'm wiring them up to relays. The trip wires go from one side of the marsh to the other.

If you watch the video you can hear the relay clicking and buzzing when the City of Portland comes out of the bridge. That's an old 1950s era telephone relay. I ordered a box of new, and hopefully, quieter relays after listening to it click for a while.

The northeast corner of the layout has the ends of the freight yard, and otherwise is bare. I'll add trees and some cows or something later. Post-it notes tell me where the insulating pins go. I'm not planning on using the blocks when running trains. I wired the entire layout so there are 12-15  foot blocks so if there is a short in the layout later I can isolate it to a specific area.

Here's the operating accessories. The inner and outer loops are hooked to an MRC transformer with a hand held controller. I'll wire the accessories so the controllers are at the front edge of the layout. This way I can run the switcher up and dump the car, then run around and refill the cars. 

Here's the power supplies. The MRC transformer on the post will be hidden in the framing of the standard gauge layout. The three Z transformers are already connected to feeders under the layout.  Two of the big knobs on the single Z are used for the middle loop of track.  The other knobs each do a specific area.

This shows the terminal strips under the layout. The back wires are for the freight yard switches, and the red/black wires are for the track. When I just soldier wires to the track, I can do the permanent feeders quickly. Making track sections with insulated rails takes longer.

It's coming together. 

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
New track means the trains can run fast
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2020, 10:42:13 PM »
I bought a postwar Santa Fe aluminum passenger set today from the original owner. She got it in 1953. Lionel 2353 AA with 4 matched hex head rivet cars. There is also an extra dome car with round head rivits. A little oil on it and it runs great, even all the lights work.

Here's a video I shot of it racing around the track with the City of Portland set.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/33lfIlqz0y8

For the 2353 the horn is in the dummy A unit. When I was setting it up, I thought moving the weight from the loco to the dummy would efect pulling power, but i can't see it.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2020, 05:31:30 AM »
Layout looks great and you put it together in a relatively short time. It should be fun to operate. 

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 01:31:17 AM »
Here's the 156 station platforms. I bought 4 of these at a show last weekend for $10 each. I'm glad I did. I only have one whole platform left. Based on the parts I have left over, the roofs are broken much more commonly than the bases.

I made a box to go under the 116 station in the area between the sheds and the wall. It will be 514R Ivory and 45N red on the upper portion.

Here's the box before painting:

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2020, 10:03:06 PM »
I got the 763E hudson out and started running it on the layout. It has to be able to go around the outer two loops without problems. It didn't.

A lot of areas were simple to fix. two tracks connected together with a slight cock in the joint, or two tracks connected together and a screw in an end tie pulling the rail down to make a bump.

In one area all the trains except the FM and F3s had problems. A close look revealed there was a 5/8" thick sheet of soundboard butted up to a 1/2" sheet. To make it worse, it was right at a curve.

The blue tape in the photo below is on the seam:

I used a wood chisel and razor knife to scrape away the thicker sheet and taper it down. Here's a few shots of the reformed area.

That photo shows the two sheets after scraping the thicker one down.

After scraping, I put the track back in and tested both loops with the hudson:

It worked! The loco runs through with no bumping or twitching.

Then I took the track back up and ballasted the area. The paint brush is the same one I was using before that I wrapped in plastic wrap after each use. Still good all these months later.

The next day, I put the track back down and ran the trains over it. No problems

Now I am going to do the passing sidings on the middle track along the south side.  The yellow post it notes show where the blocks go.

Here's the beginnings of the standard gauge layout in the garage. I should have all the framing painted and ready to start installing by the time I have the south side done.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2020, 04:11:17 AM »
Wow Terry. Your layout is very impressive. I would love to see a video of you trains running at a normal speed. You sure can find great train sets.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2020, 01:21:39 PM »
here's more of the layout on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfoiJWF7huN6pu1spZWOTqA

The dog hates the yellow trains. 

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2020, 04:36:28 PM »
Thanks Terry. Your layout is looking real good. Lots of track. Lots of turnouts. Lots of trains. The CP’s and cars are super nice. I has some 2343’s that where very nice but I had a weak moment and sold allot of trains. I’ve done that twice. Wish I had them today.

The M10,000 and B6 are sweet also.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Thinking about changing the layout
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2020, 12:44:02 AM »
Originally the south side was to have trains running alternately with relays so from the north side you'd see trains going back and forth on the same track. After cleaning the switches I decided to run more than two was unrealistic. The old switches just don't work.

I finished the wiring Monday night, then spent Tuesday adjusting the switches again, and trying to run some trains.

I managed to get a  mohave 253 with three 610 cars and a dark green 254 with 2 610 cars to run, but could not run it through two complete cycles.

It just won't work.

So I'm thinking I'll put some postwar accessories in that area, and use the middle line for postwar.

I'd take up the row behind the log loader that the coal loader is sitting on. I know I can scrape the roadbed off and then lay grass so it looks good.

That would give me three routes - the one closest to the layout edge and the one by the road in the back are different lines:

The front line would just go through. I'd put the Virginian with some cars on the siding.

The middle line would have milk and Ice platforms off the front and coal,  log, horse, and culvert off the back. I could put the 622 switcher on that siding with the operating cars.

The back line would just go through and could have a train parked on it. I have an NP  GP9 set like the one I had as a kid.

The handheld unit runs two trains. I could switch it so it does the middle and innermost loops. Then I can put a controller on the center post.

Just thinking. . .

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »
I decided to put some postwar trains on the south side. I removed a bit of one siding but left the other end because the 364 log loader uses that space anyway.

Here's the area with the track up before the roadbed was removed:

After scraping the roadbed up and putting down grass:

With the streetlights and towers wired up and working:

I have postwar stations and accessories in boxes that I need to unpack. The area where I removed the track will get milk, cattle, horse, and ice station. I want to add a beacon and the radar tower somewhere.

Here's other areas of the layout showing where I'm at:

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »
Here's a video of the 2331 pulling some 6464 cars around.

https://youtu.be/9jG_1Aq3JIk

I have two handheld units like you see in the video, but something is wrong with one and it only runs the middle loop. The other handheld on the north side runs both the middle and inside loops.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2020, 04:27:28 AM »
The layout is great. By being on the floor you can see everything really well. Great track. I love tube track. For just laying track without a a track plan first you did a super job. It’s most impressive. Everything seems to work real well.

My dad always said there is no such thing as s stupid question. So I’m going to risk it? Why all the tall white post. So you don’t have to bend over for the controllers. You have them on the posts?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »
the white posts are for the standard gauge layout that goes on top. It will be 1924-36 era Lionel.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
I would not want to cover up he O gauge. It’s so impressive.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
It's designed so the mountain blocks views. I like the idea of making people look to see interesting things. Originally I was just going to do a few loops and the train station, but had all the accessories from when I was collecting so I put them on.