Author Topic: parts diagram for prewar Lionel 259E  (Read 13555 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
parts diagram for prewar Lionel 259E
« on: February 08, 2021, 07:53:57 AM »
I'm having allot of trouble finding drive wheels for a Lionel 259E. Lionel use to swap parts around allot between there products. I'm thinking that asking the net for drive wheels for a 259 Locomotive does nit get a hit because the parts number for these wheels is another locomotive. Any information you can provide may help.

My parts guy for many years I think is having problems. He did send me a Lionel 1700 diagram that identified every part in the 1700's. So I know there's a book somewhere with these part numbers in it.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: parts diagram for prewar Lionel 259E
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 05:17:13 AM »
The 259 / 259E loco was made for an extended period, 1932 through at least 1940, when it became uncataloged. Because of this, many different motors and wheel types were used, starting with early red-spoked type wheel, same with black spokes, later solid spoke type with thin steel tires, then latest all black wheel and tire. These wheels would be common to other locos, 262, 261, 249, even 260-263 types. To be correct, you need to match the wheels to the correct era, but some may interchange, as long as you have a matched set. The early types have the pressed-on steel gears, later have cast-on gears. Since motors also changed, it is important to match wheels to the correct year. Different gear configurations may require different gears on the drivers. I am not sure what is interchangeable, as I have never tried to put early wheels on a late motor, or vise-versa. My go-to for wheel replacement is usually to find a junker or donor loco, but that can also fill the parts box un-necessarily. 

Jim Cummings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
I found  different numbers for the wheels:
263-DW2 gear thin tire
263-DW1

249E-L gear black rim

The Train Tender (Jeff Kane) lists the following:
249E-19  plain gear wheel black
249E-20 plain hub wheel black
249E-21 gear hub wheel black
249E-22 plain wheel black tire

Then on eBay sa seller lists a 4 wheel set - black or nickel trim for $40.

If replacing wheels, you might to consider new axles (SL-77)  also.

Good luck.  I tried to post some images, but files were too large.  I would be happy to attach them to an outside email if you would like them.

Jim C

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
Thanks for the help Jim.

However I have managed to get a complete set of wheels. I now also have spare wheels. I had a real hard time getting a set. But three wheels from one supplier and one wheel from another guy and I got the 259 running again. I guess the 259E had many wheel sets. It runs great!

jack
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog