Author Topic: Fixing bent diecast steam loco cab roofs  (Read 9085 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Fixing bent diecast steam loco cab roofs
« on: June 03, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »
I bought this really clean 226E earlier this week from the original owner's son.

I have a 226E on the layout that my grandfather bought for my dad for his first Christmas in 1939, which I'm going to put on  a shelf by my dad's other trains.

I'm going to put this on the layout - it is gorgoeus, but one cab roof corner is broken.

Usually to repair these, I put the corner on the corner of a sturdy table and push down with my palm until it's bent back close enough.

I was wondering what other people do for these?

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Fixing bent diecast steam loco cab roofs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:37:48 PM »
Howdy Terry. I’ve pulled several of these worse than that one. I put them in the oven at 200 degrees for a while. Then very slowly with a little pressure pull it up with smooth sided pliers. Easy does it. You may have to heat is several times but I think it will come out. To much pressure to fast with break it off.

You must be gentle.

I’d love to have that!!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

AT4

• View Profile
Re: Fixing bent diecast steam loco cab roofs
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 05:06:45 PM »
As someone has also posted you need to heat the bent portion of the cab roof. I use hand held bottled torch. You gently heat and then bend. You must do it all very slowly and don't use metal tools that will leave a mark. I use blocks of wood and plastic hammer etc. Of course you will have to re-paint that section of the roof. Its all trial and error. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. If your intrested in me trying let me know but I cannot gauantee anything.