Author Topic: 1929 Lionel Standard Gauge Outfit 349  (Read 12743 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
1929 Lionel Standard Gauge Outfit 349
« on: July 04, 2021, 05:59:55 PM »
In 1929 Lionel cataloged the 428/429/430 passenger cars with the 9 and 9E in orange. The loco is common, but the orange cars are quite difficult to find.

Not shown in the catalog was a dark green version that only comes with a hand reverse. The dark green cars that come with the 9 have orange windows rather than the maroon windows seen with 380 and 380E sets made in 1926-28. In this case the loco is rarer than the cars. Some collectors think the orange window cars came only with the 9 sets, but there are lots more sets of orange window cars than locos.

I bought this set from the original owner's grandson a few years back. While I don't collect the trains from the late 1920s anymore, this is a set my dad and I never had so I kept it to run on the layout. I rewheeled it using the black wheels Lionel made in the early postwar period, and it runs great.

Here's some photos of the set with the 380 set:

Note that the earlier observation has a different platform without the celluloid insert and marker lights.

The loco:

The 9 loco does not have an added weight, but the 380 loco does. You can see the weight in this photo:

Here's the boxes for the 9 Set. None of the boxes have dates.

Added information from thread below. . .

The dark green cars are different in a few ways other than the windows.

I showed the different observation platforms. The seats are different. The early cars have mohave seats, the later orange window cars have apple green seats.

Here's a view inside:

The later car has an extra bulb socket from an American Flyer car lighting set. We talked about that elsewhere on the forum.

Here's a third difference with the cars:

The earlier cars have an added embossed ring at the top of the end on either side of the door.  All three cars have these rings.  I'm not all the maroon window cars have this embossing. It might just be some cars, and I have the rarer version? If you have a set of cars without the embossed rings at the top, let us know and I'll update this section.

This set runs really well. I'll get the 380E set running and do a page for it.

Here's another 9 set with an Orange door 429 combine:

See down in the thread for information about this set.

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: 1929 Lionel Standard Gauge Outfit 349
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 06:38:54 PM »
That’s really nice Terry. Your layout is looking great. You’ve been busy!

Your lighting is great too!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 05:29:25 AM »
The dark green sets with 428 series cars are killer! some of the best looking trains that Lionel made, especially with a No 9 on the point. Great shot with the 380 and 9 sets next to each other.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 05:34:01 AM »
When we still lived in Illinois, I had a beautiful dark green set with a 380. During a convention, Doug Prendeville was visiting, and I let him talk me out of it. I have had a couple of 380 DG sets since, but not the same condition, so they were sold. I have never had a DG 9.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 12:56:10 PM »
I like these cars too. The big trains have to be in great condition. I bought a roundhouse section cheap, but ended up selling it because it looked bad on the layout.

I had the orange 9 set, but the car roofs were repainted so I sold it. I'd love to have one for the layout, but I would rather spend the train money on early trains.

The dark green cars are different in a few ways. (I'll edit this thread to move this information into the first post.)

I showed the different observation platforms. The seats are different. The early cars have mohave seats, the later orange window cars have apple green seats.

Here's a view inside:

The later car has an extra bulb socket from an American Flyer set. We talked about that elsewhere on the forum.

Here's a third difference with the cars:

The later cars have an added embossed ring at the top of the end on either side of the door.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 03:58:14 PM »
Stout auctions listed a Green 9 set with an orange door baggage:

The only other use of orange doors was on the peacock 332 baggage.  I don't have a 332 baggage to compare this with, but maybe the door was switched? When tjhis et was made they still had maroon doors for the apple green and mohave 419 combines.

Here's the auction:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/lionel-prewar-std-ga-promo-dark-green-pass-set-34-2242-c-99540f6bf4?

Brian Miller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 03:51:24 PM »
Terry. I bought this.   Only the second orange baggage door I have seen.  I have the other one.  It came in a set with orange windows with a 380e.   I also have a set of Mohave 418, 419, 490 cars that have orange windows, baggage doors and people doors.   The only other set of those I have seen was on a visit to John DeSantes.  He thought they were paint samples.  I lean toward a factory oops.  They may have needed several baggage or people doors, we’re out of maroon paint, and just painted them orange cause that’s what was in the gun/vat.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 10:39:13 PM »
Brian I think the baggage doors are the same on all the cars. I looked at a 310 and a 419. The doors are the same, buit a little more is shown lengthwise on the bigger cars.

So if they are the same, then it's a factory error or special with the orange doors from a peacock 10 set.  It's a neat addition to your collection as you get more depth.