Author Topic: Postwar Erie ALCO’s  (Read 22728 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Postwar Erie ALCO’s
« on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:25 AM »
I’ve got some Erie postwar 2032 ALCO’s in the mail to me. These are great little runners. Without steel tube track they have allot of trouble pulling as you get allot of wheel slip. The first ALCO’s I’ve ever had where 2033 UP’s. In order to get them to perform as I wanted I had to get another power unit so I could have two powered trucks working. It turned out great. I was thinking of maybe doing another set of ALCO’s and came across a basket case of Erie parts. I searched the internet for another power unit (I forgot, my track is MTH) so I could pull a 10 to 14 car consist. I think I have all to parts coming to make a double power unit set. This time I’ll use one e-unit to control both powered engines. That way they will always be working together? Saw a video on you tube of a guy that did that and it also worked out well.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Postwar Erie ALCO’s
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 12:44:06 PM »
Today the Postman brought me Windows for the Postwar Alco 2032 engines I will be restoring. Also got a rectifier to replace the 1.5 battery. Will not have to worry about battery leakage. Also got a battery bracket to hold the rectifier. I believe I shall be receiving parts every day this week. This should be a fun build.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 05:01:33 PM »
It just sounds like you are having too much fun. Enjoy restoring them, and look forward to seeing the video.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 08:20:24 AM »
Spent the morning sorting out my pile of Alco parts. Looks like I can make two power units. Not real sure what color to paint the Alco shells. I still have a little time to work out the color. I have the paint. Yellow, Matt Black, Chrome? Before I start assembling I want to be sure all the parts are here. I’m expecting a large parts order from TrainZ. I have special bolts like the 4/40 bolt that holds the motor to the frame and the bolt that holds the battery cover in place. I will be using a rectifier to power the horn rather than a leaky  battery.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 12:51:01 PM »
You have the ability to bring-back neglected trains to be once again useful. There used to be a lot more of that in train-collecting, rare to find today.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 10:29:32 AM »
Been sorting the parts I've been collecting in order to make another double powered Lionel Postwar Alco set. I think I have most the parts I need and even some extras.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 10:32:45 AM »
This morning I was able to sand blast the parts that I'm going to use for the Erie Alco 2032 double motored set.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 04:33:14 AM »
Can't wait to see these running on your layout.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 02:03:22 PM »
This morning I tried to tape the frame and shells for the yellow paint stripping. The frame was a night mare to tape. I gave up on that. The shells with the Matt black paint I had trouble getting the tape to stick. Thought I’d try the Stripping  tape. That stayed on but after a while came lose. That tape is like plastic. As a last resort I looked at the other stripping tape I had. It feels like paper. To my surprised it stuck very well. After getting the stripes on I did a Coat of clear to be sure the tape would stay put.

In the morning if all goes well I’ll start putting the motors, e-unit, horn, trucks in place and make a working pair of Erie Alco’s.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 05:29:28 AM »
This morning I got the second Erie Alco engine together. Did the wiring from the lead Alco’s e-unit to the slave engine behind. It would run fine backwards engines pulling good. But when I’d try to go forward the lead engine’s motor didn’t want to run. The slave was pushing hard. I thought I had a lead motor problem. I unplugged the slave unit and the lead unit worked fine. Runs great? So there’s a problem with the wiring.

I decided al the messing around was not worth saving the price of a e-unit bracket and another e-unit. So I got online and ordered those items from TrainZ. They are a good supplier and ship fast with quality parts. So as a result of all this is that the Erie’s Alco’s and the Silver UP alco’s will be the same. E-units locked out. The little Alco are allot of fun. Took a pile of parts from a friend and made a couple power units to pull freight.

When I get these done I’m going to make a video and call it Alco Diesel day on the S&B railroad!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 03:48:27 AM »
I never have figured out why my wiring failed trying to run both Alco's using the E-unit of the lead Alco? Checked it over & over. Found a video of another guy that did this on youtube and his worked. So the toy train gods are messing with me again. Got on EBay and ordered
the 100-15 E-unit and the bracket. SO now the Alco’s are parked on the bench waiting for parts.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 04:25:06 AM »
Stay with it, you will figure it out.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 12:28:25 PM »
The trains are good for your health. . .

I was told by the cardiologist to get my heart rate up for at least 20 minutes 3 times a week.

"No problem. I do that most days just trying to run my trains."

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 03:31:15 PM »
I think I’ll run a single Alco on my MTH Realtrax to see what it will pull. Then add rubber tires to the lead wheels on the power truck to see how much that’s improves it’s pulling power. When I finally get my e-unit and bracket for the second Erie power unit I’ll do rubber tires on him to. Just to see what they will do.

In the above pictures the top Alco has a big block of lead mounted where the speaker would be. That to may help. I tried pulling a ball of lead in where the battery is to be. Didn’t help at all.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 04:48:21 AM »
Yes, I knew the lead weight was not factory, but left it there, as I thought it might help in operation.