Author Topic: Do many run standard gauge trains?  (Read 11869 times)

romiin

Do many run standard gauge trains?
« on: September 28, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
  I was wondering what gauge trains most prefer to run. Do many run standard grade trains? .  Loco

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Do many run standard gauge trains?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 06:58:32 PM »
when i was building my O gauge layout on the floor, people asked about the white posts and I said I was putting a standard gauge layout over the O gauge.

I was told don't do that. . . leave windows so we can see the O gauge. . . and more.

Once the standard gauge started running on the upper level no one asks about the O gauge.

Links in my signature below.

The dog still likes the O gauge.

romiin

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 09:32:46 PM »
Boy, you did a lot of work there Terry.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 04:23:24 AM »
One of the prime considerations of gauge for a layout is how much room you have to operate in.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
Hold no there clutch (Terry). I for sure raised a red flag about the O gauge and I wanted to see it after you where doing the Standard Gauge. I’ll admit I do like your Standard gauge allot but Still I think the O gauge should be on top. I like the top!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 04:47:14 AM »
I agree, enjoyed your O gauge layout, but now can not see it.
Terry, did you get some lights under the standard benchwork, so the O gauge can be seen again?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »
there are two strings of lights - blue that make for a great night scenes, and small white led that I haven't wired in yet as they run on 1.5 volts and I need to rig up a string of diodes and a rectifier to get current.

I did get the trim up around the O gauge.  I found the correct automotive flashers to run the 154 highway signs.  Those should be in the mailbox today so I can get them installed this weekend.

The size of the layout makes everything more time consuming. I have 2 hours in on a 440 signal bridge because the bridge is in one side and the wiring is on the other. If the O gauge wasn't there I could just pop under, but with the 156 sheds there I walk all the way around.

This is what I like to do - make everything work - so I'm having fun.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 06:31:31 PM »
Guess that I am too old to manage double-deck layouts. I have enough trouble getting to things over my single elevated loop, so I cut a hole in the center for access, when I removed the standard gauge loop. Three 072 mains has given me more opportunities in operating and videoing. At times that is more than I can manage, 3 old-school throttles then a 4th if I run the upper loop at the same time.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 07:45:07 PM »
I built a layout when in college for a rich guy. You could run 30+ trains at once on dozen different tracks on four levels.

I could run all the trains.

The owner could only run one per loop because he would turn them on as fast as they would go and they'd run through the blocks. Then there would be a WHAM! usually followed by a crashing noise.

After a few months we had an electrician come in and put all the train transformers on one switch. Now I think he just runs one easily accessible loop and the rest just sits as a nice display.

On my layouts, I can run the mainlines and one (or two on the the standard gauge) of the smaller lines on each. That's three or 4 trains at once so I can keep track of them. Each layout has it's own terminal switch for the power.