Author Topic: Lionel Manufacturing and Corporation Stamps  (Read 16361 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Lionel Manufacturing and Corporation Stamps
« on: May 27, 2020, 11:34:55 AM »
Some examples of Lionel Lines NY USA and variations of rubber ID stamps
First are the large format stamp that I have only seen on the end of Standard 114 boxcars and underside on O-gauge 601, 602 Coach / Baggage cars
I am wondering if this stamp has been seen on other cars.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Lionel Manufacturing and Corporation Stamps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:39:37 AM »
An unusual 114 boxcar. The floor, at least, was stamped with the MFG emboss prior to July 1918, but the car was completed and sold after incorporation. The floor shows both the MFG emboss and the Corporation stamp.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:48:05 AM »
For many years of production, catalog images of boxcars, dump cars and cabooses appear to have graphic stickers applied.
I have had this car many years, and keep it just as a novelty item, because of the catalog images.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:52:46 AM »
An example of the "Made and Guaranteed by...." stamp. I have this underside on a 604 observation, shown here, also on a 802 stock car.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:56:46 AM »
An example of a 15 tank car with the small Lionel Lines NY USA stamp on the side of the frame.
Also an unusual 15, not shown in the latest Greenberg, that has both the tank and frame / rail in original maroon

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »
We're getting some cool stuff now.

The 601/602 cars with Those are the second or 3rd version of the car. First versions had long trucks.

The baggage comes with block or serif New York Central over the doors. I have Serif lettering with long trucks and no stamp on bottom. Doesn't say Lionel anywhere on car.

Here's the interesting version with block NYC lettering and the Lionel Lines on bottom.

I inventory my train going alphabetically with oldest having letter A. The two cars above are A and C so there is certainly a car between them. These letters should match the latest Greenberg book.

Here's a neat stamp. I think 1924 and later.

I think that's the stamp that would go on the end of the box. The tender with this stamp is not rare, and the tender with slotted trucks can be found with or without the "6 Tender" stamp.

Here's picture of my monitor.

The little blue dude came from the 1991 TCA convention Banquet. I think you made them Jim. I should have a handful of them, but either the dog is eating them or they are hiding.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 08:45:39 AM »
Terry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "long trucks". The first O gauge trucks were the "half moon" trucks like on the car in your first picture. That 602 baggage is not the first one. The earliest 602 baggage has NO door handles, yours does have door handles. The one you show is possibly the 2nd or 3rd. That depends on the trucks and car bottom combination. The half moon trucks had no tangs so they were 'free wheeling". The earliest car bottoms had no curved slots for a tang to fit in as they were not needed. The 2nd body style had the tang slot to accommodate the tang on the common early truck like on your 2nd picture and door handles. So if your body has the handles, which it does, and half moon trucks, which it does,  then depending whether your car bottom has slots or no slots, yours is a 2nd or 3d generation car.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 05:56:43 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. I just checked my 601, 602 cars with half-moon trucks. All have no curved slot in the floor. One baggage has door handles and the other does not. Photos of the 2 shown.
My earliest set includes 2 601's and the 602 without door handles, plus the 701 shown. It has what I believe is the earliest pickup with Lionel data embossed. It also has gold vents, cast iron wheels, triangle brush plate etc.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:58:54 AM »
Also the 602 with door handles has the large Lionel Lines stamp underside.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 06:16:01 AM »
Greenberg had photos of this 701 and the pick-up with embossed lettering, however on rechecking the book, it looks like he did not use it. He only shows the version with L embossed on the rivets.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 07:32:32 AM »
Your pick-up is pictured and identified on page 27.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
 Jim's question got lost in the discusssion of 601/602 cars.

I was specifically interested to know if anyone had an example of the large Lionel Lines stamp on something other than the end of a 114 boxcar or underside a 601, 602

I haven't seen that stamp on anything other than the 601/602 cars. The boxcar you showed was new to me.

I do have a pair of 35/36 passenger cars with the "made and gauranteed" stamp. I haven't unpacked the 35/36 cars or the 100 series freights yet.

Since you posted the interesting 701 pickup, here's an interesting pickup on a 728 loco:

Terry

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 04:28:57 AM »
Thanks for answering the question on the large format Lionel Lines stamps.
I thought that Bruce had used the pick-up photos I sent him, but could not find them when I looked a few days ago. I looked at the 701 listings, expecting the embossed PU to be there. Now I recall where they were. He did use several of my pick-up photos including the Macy.
Interesting PU on the Quaker with regular Manufacturing plate and also the L on rivets.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 04:42:38 PM »
I was looking at my Lionel 10 series cars today. I have a 16 with the little Lionel Lines stamp on the end and few with the number 16 on the end, but not with both the number and the Lionel Lines stamp. The stamps are always on the end away from the door handles.

None of my other 10 series cars have the Lionel Lines stamps.

The 100 series freights and 35/36 passengers will have to wait until  I get them unpacked.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 06:37:24 PM »
Speaking of pickups, the "L" is also on the other side of the rivet on the pick-up. At least on this one. (resizing pictures is a work in progress)