Author Topic: Sizing Photos and Adding Videos  (Read 14001 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Sizing Photos and Adding Videos
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
I have noticed that others have had difficulty sizing photos so they will be compatible. I have found an answer.
If you use windows 10, the Microsoft store has a free program called Image Resizer for Windows 10.
It is quick and easy to use, has a sliding scale to adjust the percentage of reduction.
You will have to experiment, as sizes will vary depending on the phone or camera you used to take the original images.
Adjusting to 15 to 17% is right for my Samsung phone.
The photo uploads in a small format, but viewers can click on it to enlarge.

Another easy way to resize photos is to use the Paint feature in Windows:
Open paint
Choose file
Select resize
I used 45, that worked, you can play with the size to keep it under 180KB
Save
Done deal

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Sizing Photos to be compatible with the site
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »
WINDOWS 10 Photo Program

In Windows 10 photo viewer, with the photo open select the settings . . . then select RESIZE (3rd down). In resize you can save as option C define custom Demensions. Select 1200 for width which should set height to 900 automatically, Check MAINTAIN Aspect Ration, and with the quality slider select a value between 40-80%.   

The sweet spot is about 80-120KB for a 1200 by 900 image from my camera is at 75% quality . It will take some experimenting, but once you find it, it's the same every time.

With the Windows Photo Viewer, you can import from the camera, and then open and save each picture to a new location. Those pictures are then uploaded.

After you upload the photos, you can delete them from your computer. Next time you post, save the new pictures into the same folder.

I just took a picture of the dog as an example.

40% is a size of 70KB

60 percent is 99KB

80 percent is  129 KB

You can use the arrow in the viewer to move between those pictures. No difference I can see.

NOTE that all these pictures are physically the same size. It's just the number of pixels per inch that is different.

BATCH RESIZING

I use a program that is no longer availible to do this. I've been doing it for my eBay listings for 22 years so I don't even give it a thought.

I wrote a book on eBay and did a chapter on editing with free programs. XNview is the program that seemed easiest to use then.

Here's the chapter:

https://train99.com/images/ar_ebayimages.pdf

The program looks more robust than what I wrote about back then. Might be a little different than I wrote. Here's the program download page:

https://www.xnview.com/en/

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Posting Videos
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:26:26 PM »
Videos from Youtube and Vimeo can be posted inside the reply box.
Just copy and paste the URL of the video into the post text box on it's own line.  The system will do the rest.

URL looks like this:
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33lfIlqz0y8
If that doesn't work, use the youtube tags. See picture below for instructions.

Here's what it looks like:

To keep this current all information from the responses below that helps with images or videos has been moved to the posts above this point.

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Sizing Photos and Adding Videos
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »
Do you have any information if you are using an IPad?

A++ on the layout.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 04:43:04 AM »
Videos of my layout, the Lake Shore Railway can be seen at this link. We are constantly adding new ones, hope you enjoy. Videos include Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, other brands plus holiday specials. Stay home and stay safe!

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCUfhIqTj6nbDLmY3rXzvn7g

cndctr111

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »
Another easy way to resize photos is to use the Paint feature in Windows:
Open paint
Choose file
Select resize
I used 45, that worked, you can play with the size to keep it under 180KB
Save
Done deal

T-man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 06:32:50 AM »
] Recently I just figured out how to resize. I am using Windows 11. I use a Phone camera pictures which are huge.

First I crop the picture and press select. Then I just save the picture and replaces the original. That is done with the first icon in the picture.

The ampersand ... is chosen next and ch0ose Resize from the menu.

This shows up.

Then, In the left box I choose 400 which works for me. Everything adjusts after that. I press save and add the word small to the name.