Author Topic: Prewar paint finish  (Read 12053 times)

romiin

Prewar paint finish
« on: February 12, 2022, 05:44:43 PM »
 I was thinking about painting a couple items, and I was wondering on the prewar stuff if you think the finish is satin or semi gloss or gloss?  its hard to tell because the paint is so old, not sure if it is gloss that is faded  . I know some of you guys have done lots of restorations. Loco

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Prewar paint finish
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 04:54:32 AM »
Most prewar finishes were applied as gloss, but age and conditions can confuse the issues. Others on this site may have more accurate info on the earliest stuff, but I believe Lionel spray painted trains and accessories from the early days into the early 1920's. At some point they started dip-painting. Evidence of this can be seen as drips and runs on the sides of
pea green, peacock, terra cotta and other lead-based colors in that family, up through 1934. In 1935, the color pallet changed to more primary colors and application method changed back to spray-painting, as evidenced by "orange peel" texture seen on these finishes. Again, these colors were applied as gloss, with few exceptions such as silver, or as Lionel called it Aluminum, which was matte. 1940 saw another big change to a more-scale look. Finish colors changed again and were still spray-painted, but many finishes changed to matte, or dull, as noted on some box ends. An exception was car frames which were still dip-painted gloss through most of production. Thick knobs or flakes of thick spots, mainly on frame ends are evidence of this.

romiin

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 10:03:04 AM »
 Thanks for that. To match the aged look, would semi gloss be the way to go if you are doing a paint restoration?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 05:15:42 AM »
Chances are you would have a hard time duplicating the drips of dip-painting or orange-peel patina of later prewar, it is hard enough just matching the colors. I have found with certain finishes, such as black on locomotives, a decent finish can be achieved that will not "scream" restoration. If I paint a boiler in a dull or satin finish, allow to thoroughly dry then polish carefully to produce a gloss, mainly in the wear areas, it will look satisfactory......just a suggestion. It is easier to take a finish that you apply from dull to gloss, than it is from gloss to dull.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:30:50 AM »
I'm going to restate a point Jim just made so it isn't missed. . .

The finish is not as important as matching the color.

When I was doing repainting I did semi-gloss with color matched automotive enamel. For an experienced collector too high a gloss just looks wrong. Some people like it better. The  lower gloss paints are easier to apply.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 03:22:41 PM »
We had a discussion in regards to paint under "General Discussions",  "Recent Additions", pp 6 & 7, Replies 88-93.

Mike

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 04:27:56 AM »
Things do seem to be re-hashed here, but at least it keeps some discussion going. We need to see more participation on subjects of rarity, variations, sets, layouts, train shows, etc.

I am in an isolated area where there are no local shows. We used to be in the Chicago area where there was a toy or train show locally every weekend. Culture shock for me!

I would like to hear if anyone has been to a show lately, where and what it was like.

Terry has done some posts on shows and local finds. It would be nice to hear more from other members.

Terry may want to move this to a new thread, maybe it already exists and I just missed it. I always try to check new posts daily.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 10:27:06 AM »
No Shows close enough here in Harper Woods Michigan, haven't been for quite awhile. I'm not driving 2-4 hours one way to do a single walk-through in 30 minutes.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 04:50:26 AM »
Agreed, Terry has a post explaining his local situation.

romiin

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 04:13:16 PM »
 I hear ya.