Author Topic: Terry’s unboxing video  (Read 7714 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Terry’s unboxing video
« on: April 19, 2023, 05:35:38 AM »
Hello Terry. Just saw your unboxing video. Great job on the video and great buy on the auction you won. I wish I knew more about prewar Lionel. Jim has me hooked on prewar 226E’s. I now have two and they are super runner’s. I really enjoy them.

I thought I got a great buy when I won a 226E for a little over two bucks. It needed a steam chest. Once I got the 226E is was a real mess. Not well described. Had more problems than I thought or I would have never bid on it. My 200 dollar 226E ended up costing me $ 514.27. For that much I could have bought one with boxes. I went into all this to say the seller did a very bad job packing the 226E. The package was protected very well around the outside but the engine & tender were right beside one another. Just a piece of cardboard separated them. USPS played football with the package. When I got it the tender shell was cracked very badly.

Anyway -  liked your video on youtube with the auction you won.

Jack
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Terry’s unboxing video
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 07:48:13 AM »
Thought I'd share my eBay Lionel Prewar 226E nightmare. Be careful trying to save money on old toy trains. it's best to buy a good one from the start.

Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Terry’s unboxing video
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 12:54:29 PM »
Great video.  I subscribed to your channel. I used to get paid by youtube, but haven't seen money in years. Now you need a thousand subscribers.

I did that once with a black 238E. Back in the 1980s the trains and parts weren't plentiful so you'd grab whetever you saw at the meets. It was cheap at $20. The lead truck is unique to the 238E, so are some of the siderods.

In the mid 1970s my dad bought a 51 steam loco in a pieces from Bill Tunstall. Bill was the president of TCA national at the time. Bill told my dad all he needed was some wheels.

Months later, we went to a toy show and a man was bragging that he had mostly everything Lionel made.  My dad asked him for wheels, and the man said yes. My dad gave him a $20 bill and his address. The wheels came in a few weeks later.

I put thew loco together using the exploded diagrams in the Lionel catalogs. (Bruce Greenberg was selling a set of Lionbel catalogs from the teens back then.) It took me about 6 hours to figure out the assembly and get it toghether. It even runs.

Terry

PS here's one of my videos with 3.1 MILLION views. I don't get paid for it because I don't have 1000 subscribers. It's a different account than the train account so please take a minute to subscribe. Maybe I can get a few dollars.