Author Topic: Wartime Lionel Train Items by Madison Hardware  (Read 13352 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Wartime Lionel Train Items by Madison Hardware
« on: June 17, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »
During World War 2 Lionel was not allowed to make trains. They made compases and other items mostly for the Navy.

Madison Hardware in NYC bought bins of obsolete and quality rejects for parts. During the war, the store assembled them into trains.

Here's some of them:

The upper right car has holes in the deck for a 820 type searchlight housing. It's missing from the car.

Here's some more:

Madison made the flat cars by taking the bases off tank cars and boxcars and adding stakes. Floodlight car got extra holes for the light base. The cars were painted black and then had trucks attached.

They took the tops from the tank car and the box cars and mounted them on wood using wood screws. The cars were then painted black and trucks added with wood screws.

The gondolas were just painted black and then had trucks atatched.

On all these cars you can see damage to the lithographing under the black paint. They were probably rejected by Lionel and then thrown into bins were more damage occured.

Here's a cool car:

I bought this car from John Cox after his father Al died. It's shown in the blue covered 2nd edition of the TCA  book on page 159. Might be the only surviving example.

These pictures are from Stout Auction when I sold most of my  trains made after 1925.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Wartime Lionel Train Items by Madison Hardware
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:26:42 AM »
I dug out my Madison items, still packed from our move. You can see that I have a group of freights, mostly on 1679 type LL-Jr frame, most with 1941 low-hood manual couplers. A few have auto couplers. I also have several that are on wooden bases, presumably as Madison stock on frames got low. I also have the 1717 gondola with B&O decals and a 653 hopper body with no frame. Also a floodlight car that is a work-in-progress. I have 3 diners, including one with a maroon 1691 carbody. The 763 Hudson was bought from the RM auction of Dick Kughn's collection. It has no motor, pony trucks mounted tight so the drivers do not touch rails and a modified crank one side. This loco was advertised as being on display in the Madison window, the drivers were rolled by an external motor on the back side, attached to the modified crank. 

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Wartime Lionel Train Items by Madison Hardware
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »
I just got a note from Librarian at the TCA library saying a book "The Madison Hardware Story, by Derek Thomas might have information I'm looking for.

I can't find a copy of the book for sale. One sold on eBay for $125 a few weeks ago!

I asked her when Madison started buying Lionel seconds and obsolete parts and she replied:

There tends to be conflicting information in sources.  In the Thomas book, he interviewed a relative who said his personal knowledge starts in the mid 1930s.  He said that his uncle, Lou Shur, around WWII (or during it) began to purchase huge cartons of throw-away parts from Lionel for pennies, since Lionel wasn't doing new production due to the war.

This just reaffirms what we were guessing based on the cars.