Author Topic: Catalog Cuts  (Read 14769 times)

early0electric

• View Profile
Catalog Cuts
« on: July 31, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »
Here's a couple of interesting catalog cuts from a 1929 UNION HARDWARE & METAL catalog. I say 1929 based on the other Lionel equipment shown. Anyway, just more road names never produced, at least not that I know of.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Catalog Cuts
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
Those are both stamps Lionel used. Those cars might have existed, maybe they are still around somewhere?

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:32:45 PM »
It would be great to know if some of these items existed. Sharing what you have and have knowledge of is the best part of being a collector...of anything. I don't understand those that hide what they have instead of adding to the knowledge base.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »
Here's an interesting cut from a 1923 hardware dealer toy catalog. Not so much 156 on a 703 but the 150 is of interest. Note that it shows a pantograph rather than a bell.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »
I'm sure most collectors or at least a goodly number of us are aware of the FAO SCHWARZ Locomotives numbered 61 and 62. The 61 being a 42 and the 62 being a 38, both specially numbered and lettered for the famous NYC Toy Store. But what most of you may not know is that the numbers 61 and 62 referred to the Lionel Outfit number. The respective numbered locos were never sold individually. My good friend Bill Blystone has an Outfit 61 box and further more, I have a 1915 FAO SCHWARZ catalog that does list these trains. The catalog cuts show the locos with the Lionel numbers 42 and 38. The most surprising, to me at least, is the description that both outfits came with batteries and wires, therefore, they were ready to run out of the box! Now the Outfit 61 box that Bill has is not big enough to encompass the addition of the batteries so I'm assuming they were packaged separately.

If the virus ever gets under control and YORK gets up and running again I suggest that everyone attend the Toy Train Paper and Memorabilia group meeting. It would be well worth your time. A plethora of items show up that are new and unique and interesting. You never know what's going to show up!
https://jlmtrains.com/ttpm/

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »
Looking at the trains those are 1913 era catalog cuts. By 1915 the 42 set showed an oval NYC in the catalog, but the 38 set still used the early illustration until 1917.

The 1915 Lionel catalog prices were $31.50 for the 42 set with a lighting kit but no power supply as outfit 420, and the 38 set was $16.00 as outfit 40. 

I'd love to have those FAOS locos. There is a 33 as a # 60 too. They say FAOS in an oval rather than NYC. They are even rarer than the O gauge Quaker locos.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
Collectors talk Wards 33 Outfit in Midnight Blue but I have not seen an advertisement for this. Greenberg shows a 33 in Royal Blue dating it 1914-1917 from Butler Brothers. Here's another catalog cut from my collection. It's from a Butler Brothers catalog dated Oct 1918 and lists the Royal Blue 33 Outfit. Interesting enough, the 33 is a 6 wheel and the 35 & 36 are ribbed. These items have been out of production for a couple of years at least. I've seen Blue ribbed coaches but never a 6 wheel 33 in blue. Does one exist, who knows?

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »
Actually, all the FAO Locos had NEW YORK CENTRAL LINES in the oval and FAOS and the #  to the right of the door.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
My mistake about the lettering. Tells you I don't have one. From the picture you can date the U frame 33 locos as late as 1915.  I saw a 33 with 35/36 cars in midnight blue at a TCA convention in the early 1980s.

Compare the observation railing on the butler brothers car with others from the same period. The cars with ribs have longer observation platforms.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 04:50:10 AM »
You have some great paper. Thanks for posting so others can see.
I had sent a request to join the Forum to Joe Mania, but have still not heard from him about the N0 6 parts I asked him about.
I do not have, but saw a set of midnight blue 35, 36 cars that ran through Stout's auction, at least 10 years ago that were smooth-sided, not ribbed.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
Jim, I've sent you numerous responses to your question about Joe since you posted through this Train99 site. Have you or have you not received them? I've gotten no indication.
Mike