Author Topic: Lionel 121 High Window Stations  (Read 9571 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Lionel 121 High Window Stations
« on: August 09, 2020, 06:33:32 AM »
There was mention made of an early 121 station with "High" windows, but I was not able to find it to link this to, so Terry you can move it if you want.
I have 2 early 121 stations, both same light salmon color, darker green window trim and black-background waiting room signs.
One has the raised windows on front and back only, but the other also has raised windows on ONLY 1 side, the other side is regular height, aligned with top edge of front/rear doors.
I think this gives credence to the theory that the high windows were a mistake, not planned by Lionel. Both my stations are 121, one has had lights added.   

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Lionel 121 High Window Stations
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:11:08 PM »
I studied these stations for years. I've owned about 20 of them.

One of yours is weird.

All high windows I've seen have the early roof. The supports are different unbderneath. Otherwise Here's the three types I'm aware of:

• Six high windows with brass letters on waiting room sign.
  • Four high windows with brass letters on sign.
  • Four high windows with black letters on sign

I've seen stations with all low windows and brass letters on signs. I don't think Lionel did first in first out with the signs. I think they just made sure both signs matched.

None of the high window stations I have seen had interior lights. I don't think they even have the holes in the wall above the doors to mount the light bracket.

I took one of these apart and measured everything. I've also restored a bunch of these. I don't think the placement of the windows was an error. I think it was designed that way and then changed.

I talked to a guy about these at the 1994 York TCA Convention. He wrote an article for the Atlantic Division Express saying they were factory errors, but was quoting himself.

I don't know what story is correct, but yours with only two high windows is certainly different from all the ones I've seen so far.

I have a bundle of papers about these stations inside one, but it's packed away.

Terry
PS I  have one of these here with a poorly repainted roof good for restoring if someone wants a project.