Author Topic: Lionel e-units  (Read 13257 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Lionel e-units
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
This information is for three position e-units with a single winding on the field.

If the motor runs in one direction but not the other. . .  sequence is forward -neutral - SHORT or NOTHING - neutral - forward, then a wire to a brush and the field wire are reversed. I did this last weekend.

The E-unit has three wires coming off the lower contacts. There is also a wire from the center rail pickup to the lug beside the lever.

• If two are the same color and the third wire is a different color, the odd color usually goes to the field. 
  • If there are three different colors and one is green, green is the field. This is shown in one of the photos below.

This Postwar F3 e-unit has the green wire on the upper left. Green to field, yellow and black wires to brushes.

Here's a diagram of the wiring of an e-unit:

Wire colors to brushes are not the same for all e-units.

If the motor runs once and then not at all, the drum might be in upside down. That sucks, but it's how we get good at changing them.

Another reason the motor may run once, then not at all is loose connections of the wires. Make sure you check the field connection. You check field by connecting a wire to the ground, and then the other lead into the green wire above. Should buzz and short.

Check for bent fingers on the e-unit. Sometimes a finger will break off. This happens from bending the fingers while replacing the drum, or can happen because the drum is defective.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Lionel e-units
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 02:36:09 PM »
Here's the diagram for wiring when one brush is wired to ground and there is a single field.

These were used on cheaper Lionel JR and 027 locos from about 1934 to the mid 1950s.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 07:35:02 AM »
Installing a drum in an E unit is about the least-pleasant repair. You need 3 fingers in a 1/2 inch square area, I use dental tools to align everything then quickly snap it back together with a channel locks, do not have an E-unit vise. It works, but takes time, patience and many tries.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:07:08 AM »
You will find a toothpick to be one of your best friends when repairing an e-unit. Those notches on the side plate are perfect for putting a toothpick through and holding the pawl out of the way while you are changing fingers or the drum.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »
Like Jim I use Channel Locks and dental picks. The hook end of the ST-303 e-unit tool also comes in handy as it's shaped to hold the drum.

The toothpick idea Mike shared is new to me. Sound like a great idea. I'll have to try that.

Channel lock pliers in left hand right hand has picks to line everything up:

One last e-unit tip. . .  A fast way to get good at replacing drums is to put the drum in backwards. This way you get to put it in twice during each repair.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »
I have to admit I’m never real happy or looking forward to do E-unit work. However I will do it.

I have a very small vise that sits flat on my bench. I put the e-unit in when I’m ready to snap it together. I can go real slow which gives me the time to be sure everything is lined up correctly.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »
The tooth pick idea is a good one and I will try it next time I change a drum.