Author Topic: Lionel 1700E Jr restore number 3  (Read 18326 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Lionel 1700E Jr restore number 3
« on: November 20, 2020, 05:36:52 AM »
I'm doing another Lionel streamline Jr. This one is really rough. Lots of rust. Going to have to make some new tabs. Motor needs new wheels. I believe this one has been in a flood. Showing lots of water damage?

https://youtu.be/Xn574ZGgxAc
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Lionel streamline Jr restore number 3
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 05:40:59 AM »
It's apart and ready for clean up and sand blasting. The wheels are cleaned up and the axles polished.

https://youtu.be/xqYk1VPYyvY

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Lionel 1700E Jr restore number 3
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »
Going to sand blast in the morning early. I should have enough time to get the trains paint and rust off. Maybe even make the new tabs. The new wheels and a new 100-10 e-unit came today.

S&W parts even sent a parts list for the 1700 along with a complete drawing of the complete train. Bill a real class act. He has everything you could need. His mails the part out ASAP and his prices are very good. I highly recommend him.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:42:00 AM »
Did the sand blasting this morning. It does a great job on rust. I was very happy with it. I did a video but it’s 14 minutes. I’m going to try to get it down to a few minutes on a rusty part.

Video later -

The video is still loading. It's to long but I wanted to show you how well the blasting removed the rust. Number 3 Lionel 1700 is ready for primer then paint. Plus I have all the parts to finish it.

https://youtu.be/9hTCOWY3HXs

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 12:54:02 PM »
I have made progress on this set also. The frames are done and the wheels and couplers are installed. I’ve had problems with the paint on the bodies. The paint I normally use seems to be in short supply. I used a alternate and it’s really poor. I’m not sure but I think I may do the bodies over. I sent an email to the paint supplier I normally use and asked them what was going on. When would they be able to supply the paint I need. No word back from them as of yet?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »
I'm getting close to having a Lionel 1700E in Orange & Gray.
I must thank starfire700 for the information on resizing the pictures.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »
The silver set & orange set of 1700's have been restored. They run great.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 04:53:22 AM »
It is nice to know that some collectors still exist who can do that kind of work. Too much emphasis on original condition these days, but rough trains deserve a new life too.
Nice work you are doing.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 05:46:21 AM »
Thanks starfire. I get allot of lip because I love to restore old Lionel trains. My layout has lots of things I got on ebay that where just junk. Didn't pay hardly anything for them. Then set about removing the rust, the dents, replacing what ever is missing and making them work and look good.

I just got my fourth Lionel 1700. It is my third one I'm restoring. It's a real mess. After removing the paint with a sand blasting deal all I found was rust. This morning I starting getting the rust off. First I use a wire wheel. A real surprise was when removing the paint off the observation car I found a mint chrome body. Not a speck of rust. It's beautiful. Needless to say on this one it will paint the frame and I'll just put the body back on. I have hopes of getting a red & chrome 4 car set like I had when I was a kid. That's what really started me into the 1700 thing.

Later I'll post a picture of the observation cars body. Sorry but it will be a fish eye picture. Maybe I could do a picture with the IPad and try to move just that picture. I'll work on that.

Glad to hear from you. Didn't seem like anyone was really interested. Like I said - lots of Lionel train collectors get upset with folks that restore!

I managed to get the 1702 car picture from the IPAD to the desk top computer. However the picture is a .MOV. Image sizer does not see .mov pictures?

I dusted off my old Sony camera and charging the battery hoping to get better pictures rather than the GoPro's.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »
Wow - what a fight to get the old sony camera to work. Battery was stone dead. Was not sure it would come back. Then the memory card had a problem. Took for ever to remember how to repair the card. 

But I did manage to get a mp3 picture.

I bought a 1702 Lionel car to go with the 1700 & 1701 cars I got on ebay. The 1700 & 1702 cars a very rough. Liked to never got the paint off. when I did I found lots of rust. Worked on them all morning. But the 1702 that came from another seller looked the same paint wise however when stripping the paint I was shocked to see this perfect chrome body. I hope this picture will work.

You can really see the difference between the chrome body and the 1700 & 1701's.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
Working today on the 1700E set that I want Yellow & Brown. I got the power unit frame 99% straight. Probably the best I'll be able to do. Primer on the frames of all units. Everything seems to be working OK other than I'm going to have to go back to using my Paasche airbrush. The Krylon spray cans have changed the spray heads and they really suck. The new spray heads spit paint rather than spray it. I use to get the paint out of the cans and put it in Ball jars. Then use the paint in my airbrush. Worked great but was real messy and my wife was not happy with the mess.

The power unit & one of the 1701's had allot of rust. Got it off the outside but the inside of the bodies was allot worse? I saw a thing on you tube  where a guy took old O gauge tube track and put it in White Vinegar. Cleaned the track up great. Even on the inside which helped the metal pins conduct the power! I thought I'd try it with the car bodies? Hope I don't regret doing this.

Seems to be working very well. Wiring wheeling the inside of the car bodies is hard on the tabs. I don't want to have to make any more tabs if possible.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 05:26:54 AM »
no rust. White vinegar worked very well. Beats a wire brush. Easy on the body tabs also.
I used lighter fluid to clean the bodies after the vinegar. I hope it gets warm enough today to put some primer on the bodies.
Maybe even some paint after a little time in the warm oven!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
The paint colors look pretty good. Your goal is to make one of each set?

That will be cool.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
Yes Terry. That was my plan. Problem I have is I ordered a Greenburg Lionel 1901 to 1942. That way I would know what was smooth sided and what was ribbed. But it not here yet. Seems like very thing I order gets hung up in the mail somewhere? Really is upsetting. The 1700E motor I bought from my friend in New York along with lots of other 1700 things is lost. The book should have been here a week ago. My 1700 parts I'm not sure when they should have been here as My friend does not send tracking numbers but he does have tracking. He noticed there was a problem with the order and called today. I told him nothing had arrived. That order had the 1700e motor in it?

I did get another 1700e today. That's number 5. It only runs forward but there is an E-Unit. Motor looks great. It runs real smooth. I believe it has new wheels. The wheels have a place for side rods? 1700 looks great and the 1702 looks super great. However the 1701 is going to require some work. But that's OK. This is therapy for me.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 06:06:21 PM »
As far as I remember, the painted ones are smooth except for the aluminum one with the red nose.

The alum/red nose and the chrome ones are fluted. There are two chromes red and orange. I think orange/chrome was a wind up with a big hole in the side for the key.