Author Topic: So much information here  (Read 13506 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
So much information here
« on: December 21, 2020, 04:57:45 AM »
This morning it's to cold for the garage (mancave). I went through allot of this forums threads. I was so impressed with all the prewar layouts and the amount of items you guys have. Some of the layouts where packed with the most interesting trains and accessories. Marx, Lionel, and things I've never heard of. I'm sure glad Terry put a note in a purchase I got from him inviting me to come to the forum.

jack
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: So much information here
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 04:20:52 AM »
Glad that you are enjoying the layouts. Mine is the one with Marx, Lionel and American Flyer. To see much more of this layout in action, click the link below to my Youtube channel. You will see videos on Lionel pre and postwar, American Flyer, Marx, AMT and others, plus some Holiday specials for Halloween and Christmas. Jim

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCUfhIqTj6nbDLmY3rXzvn7g

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 10:37:33 AM »
Wow - I just watched one of your Marx videos. Tonight when I’m off duty I’ll be watch the other 23 videos. I remember Marx trains at the local 5 & 10 store in Irvington (Indianapolis) Ind. They where just in glass bins and you made up you own set. Engines here, box car there, etc, etc. But nothing like you have. Where did you find all that mint condition Marx. Impressive! I can’t say enough.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
There are not quite 24 videos on my channel, only 17 at this point, but working on another one now. Did you notice that the main lines on the layout are 1930's to 40's vintage Lionel T-rail, solid rail track? Some of the videos are themed, such as the Halloween and Christmas specials. Hope you enjoy.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 06:47:41 PM »
Yes. I did catch that you track was T rail. I’ve never heard of that before. You have such a nice wide range of trains. Marx, postwar, prewar. All in super condition. Also all the trains of shelves! Big collection.

I’ve had really three collections. But I lose interest and sell them off? My brain servo fails sometimes. I do have allot of postwar Lionel trains at my daughters house. She expressed an interest and in 2012 when we where moving to Florida.  I Gave her my best trains. Made shelves in her office for her. Looks real nice. Back in the 1980’s to the late 1990’s I had a big collection but again sold them to put three kids through college.

Your collection is awesome! Thanks for the link. I’m really enjoying them. My wife is watching TV and I’m doing YouTube on the IPad.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:09:42 AM »
Thanks for your comments. My collection, and I think many collector's collections are always a work in progress. I have gone back and forth between Lionel postwar, prewar, then Marx, American Flyer prewar, O and Standard gauge. I think it is not our brains that fail, but the tremendous variety of trains available that keeps flipping our switches. It is always nice to discover and dive into something new. It may be trains that are 100 years old or trains made in the 1980's. My philosophy is to collect and operate whatever I like. I place as much emphasis on operating now as I do on just collecting and dusting. I like to see them run, and like to preserve this in videos, hoping that others will enjoy them too. My collection is very eclectic right now. I have trains over 100 years old and also some modern Lionel, Atlas and MTH.
T-rail was made by Lionel from the mid 1930's, 1935 I think, until the early 1940's. It is 072 wide radius, solid rails, assembles with fish-plates and nuts/bolts, very time consuming. The results are worth it to me. I was lucky to buy most of my T-rail in the 1980's, as it is hard to find and very expensive now. 

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 08:04:50 AM »
All your stuff is very impressive. Some of the video's I had to watch more than once or twice as I miss things. The Marx is really great and in that condition is amazing to me. Thanks for all that. Plus keep them coming. Lets see what's on the shelves?

With everyone's input here I'm embarrassed to show my meager collection. But my thing's are special to me. My dad's Christmas trains he gave me in the 1940's.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »
Don't compare the trains you have to the ones we have. You've been buying trains for a few months. I've been at it since 1975, and my dad started 15 years earlier. I don't know when exactly, but I think Jim's been collecting trains since at least the early 1970s.

I know people who have been TCA members for decades and have fewer trains than you.

Based on what you've posted in the past month, you are learning about your trains. That's a part of collecting you can't see on shelves.

You are occupying your time in a manner pleasing to you. That is what is important.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »
Check the posts under "In the beginning" in the "Collector Corner" file for a bit more insight into some of us on this forum. I've been collecting early 0 for about 50 years. Never collected postwar but had classic period. Life changes and work layoffs made me choose the direction of my collection. Collecting anything is a work in progress.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 04:41:17 AM »
Every collector has to start somewhere. I remember when I just had 3 shelves of postwar on a kitchen wall. It has been a long and enjoyable road, discovering and acquiring trains and meeting many new friends. I can only hope the journey is as enjoyable for you. Happy Holidays.