Author Topic: PREWAR/POSTWAR DINERS. O or Standard gauge.  (Read 9204 times)

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
PREWAR/POSTWAR DINERS. O or Standard gauge.
« on: January 04, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »
Post your Diners here, O or Standard gauge.
Prewar & Postwar.

My #442.
Prewar #442 Diner Made from 1938 - 1942 until the war was declared and factories went into war mode.

It took Lionel until 1938 to introduce it's first version of that truly American landmark, The roadside diner.
Lionel's # 442 was an accurate representation of the old railroad cars that you saw along the highways. NJ had a whole bunch of them.  :)
It measures 10,1/2 x 5,1/2 x 3 inches and uses the body from a Lionel # 610 Pullman.
Lionel painted, or repainted, these Pullmans- giving them bright red roofs, light red trim, and ivory bodies. Because Lionel had never produced the # 610 in "diner" colors. The plates of the 610 were also changed. The large center one now read "DINER" and the small plates to the left and right now read "EAT".
The body is mounted on a hard-board, free-form base, the bottom which is screen backed. (The board was most likely manufactured by Masonite Company.)
The little diner was landscaped (but only in the front) with two shrubs and a grassy, green sawdust lawn surrounded by hedges. The hedges ran from the left door to the right one.
The 442 was illuminated. (recommended to be run at 12 volts.)

Is it the only Prewar Diner they made? Well that's open to debate as a few have popped up through the years.
But none using the 610 bodies.
And the #442 is the only one that was cataloged.

Took me around 5 months to find what I was looking for. Watching on e bay. I refused to go over my max. I am glad I waited.
This one is complete in nice shape and complete. Though it may be a little dusty now.  :)

CNJRR

• View Profile
Re: PREWAR/POSTWAR DINERS. O or Standard gauge.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:57:22 AM »
Right after I received the diner, I was looking for some history on them.
I went into my den to research it and a magazine fell off the pile I had of old CTT magazines. I picked it up and the first page it opened to was this one.
So I took a picture.
No lie, spooky?:D

These are all un-cataloged but the Red #442.

The top upper left is made from a #617 coach. (made from 1935-1941)
The top middle is the #442 ( the only one that is cataloged, made from 1938 - ?.)

The top right is an Ives #1691. Observation car.
Bottom far right is Ives #1693. Observation car. (these became part of the Lionel line)

Bottom left is the #617
There is one other known to be around, the #637 coach (not shown) is is the same as the #617 but the colors are different. The coach was part of Lionel's City of Denver streamlined set. it was yellow and brown.

The #1691 Ives is the most difficult one to find today. Followed by the #1693.

I have never seen any but the #442.
A few think that the un-cataloged diners were made by Madison hardware during the war years as they had a surplus of them.

The only thing I wish was included with my #442 is the top diner sign.
They never made any for the #442.
I might make my own to add.:D

So....if you ever see one besides the #442 snatch it up! And PM me right away.  :)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
We covered the Diners in our discussion of Madison Hardware's wartime production:

https://www.train99.com/forum/index.php?topic=32.msg146#msg146

I just looked at that and I thought there was more than that.

CNJRR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »
You ever see any Standard gauge diners?
I guess one could be made up out of an old diner car.
I saw one, but don't know if it was made up or factory produced.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:51:53 PM »
McCoy made a standard gauge diner. MTH may have made something?  Lionel didn't make one in the 1930s.