Author Topic: PREWAR TUNNELS  (Read 23853 times)

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
Re: PREWAR TUNNELS
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
Jim's White tunnel was made by zthe J. C. Schrey company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and sold under the brand S&G Novelties. They made the same tunnel in a green summer scene, and also made fences.

Here's a page with pictures of much of the J. C. Schrey Production:

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/railways/schrey/index.html

It's interesting that the tunnel says JP Schrey, not JC Schrey.  J. CHARLES was the son, J. PAUL was the father.

John Charles Schrey was born on month day 1919, at birth place, Pennsylvania, to John Paul Schrey and Anna Margaret Schrey (born Gruss).
John was born on June 7 1882, in Marburg, Austria.
Anna was born on July 13 1896, in Pennsylvania, United States.

See what you can find on the internet when you're trying to avoid working.

Good internet sleuthing.  :)
Mystery solved.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 04:34:18 AM »
I will have to look further, but possibly the tunnel was made while S&G was under control by the father JP, then later control was taken-over by the son, JC and the name changed.

CNJRR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 11:34:15 AM »
I think years ago I saw one, I can't place where?
Train show, garage sale, Craig's list, In a magazine, internet, I don't know.  ::)

I will keep my eye open for them, and check for a signature if I see one in person.
But with these viruses going around, I won't be going out looking anytime soon. :)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 05:47:41 AM »
I remember sitting up the night before leaving for York and making out my "must have" list.
Not being sarcastic, just mellow........now if an item comes my way and I like it, I buy it. Age will do that to you.
Maybe by the end of 2021 we will be able to gather at meets and conventions again. Who knows what the future will bring. Meanwhile, I will hunker-down in my basement and play with trains.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 02:23:53 PM »
Sounds like a good idea Starfire. Basement and trains being safe. For me it’s the three car garage. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter?
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 04:51:46 AM »
Yes our trains will help us all get through this.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
Speaking of garages. . .

I was walking the dog and a man opened his garage door. I looked inside and thought to myself how nice it would be to have a big garage like his.

Half a block down the road I realized the house and the garage was the same as mine, just not full of  crap.

I've been going out to the garage every Friday afternoon for at least six months, and grabbing some crap to put on eBay. It mostly doesn't bring much money, but I like the feeling of cleaning it out. Still a mess, but I'm making good progress.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 10:50:52 AM »
Our have any nice O gauge track in the garage you want to get rid of.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 11:22:11 AM »
Send me a PM or email with your needs and your address.

I have dealer cases of NEW Lionel 0 track. 072, 054, 042 not a lot of that maybe none, and 031 curve. There's a bunch of long straights with ties spaced like regular 10" sections and loose 10" and half sections.  I have RCS, UCS, and O22 switches for repair.

I have good used O27 Super O trackand including repairable switches and remote sections.

I also have New Standard gauge track in 42" and 72" curves along with new long straights with widely spaced ties.

I have NO Fastrack or MTH Realtrax.

The private message and email buttons are under my name to the left of this text. 

CNJRR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 03:23:41 PM »
Speaking of garages. . .

I was walking the dog and a man opened his garage door. I looked inside and thought to myself how nice it would be to have a big garage like his.

Half a block down the road I realized the house and the garage was the same as mine, just not full of  crap.

I've been going out to the garage every Friday afternoon for at least six months, and grabbing some crap to put on eBay. It mostly doesn't bring much money, but I like the feeling of cleaning it out. Still a mess, but I'm making good progress.

I have a 2 car garage with a loft that has only seen one car in it since 1996, one time to wax a car in the winter.
Otherwise it is filled with a whole lot of stuff, I should have painted it when I moved in in 1996.
It was all bare sheetrock since it was built in 1968 I think it was.
This summer I got to paint it but it was a pain in the you know what.
I had to move a ton of stuff to paint it. It went slow but kept me busy most of the summer.
But as I went along I organized a lot of things and tossed some and sold things.
When the warmer weather comes I will continue. I hate burning my propane to heat it up.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
I found another interesting prewar tunnel. This one is Marklin, made in Germany. Unusual design, hand-painted with interior lining, hole and holder for a light fixture, raised portal faces. I find it most interesting, because stamping in the tunnel answers what are the 3 most-often asked questions about an item..... Who made it, what catalog number is it and when was it made. Close-up photos answer all of these questions. Seldom does a prewar train item provide all of these "vital statistics".

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 05:48:01 PM »
That's a nice tunnel. I like the way they make it look like bricks without embossing it. I might do that on my layout. It's a neat effect.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 04:08:52 AM »
The brick affect looks to be spray painted with a stencil.

Pre-WarGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
It seems like everyone likes tunnels.  My version of Canyonlands NP can be seen in the photo (if I can figure out how to post it)
My photo won't post because it is too large of a file??

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »
If your windows 10. You have a processor call ‘Image resize’.

Click it. Open your picture with image sizer. Reduce it to about 622 to 650. Then save it. I call mine. Something with small in the saved name.

That will load into the forum

Some where on this forum there is a tread that tells you how to do it but I can’t find It. Terry or Jim will be along soon and they know where the tread is?