Author Topic: Terry's Standard Gauge Layout  (Read 64268 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Terry's Standard Gauge Layout
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2021, 09:55:15 AM »
Bottom O gauge picture. It that a 226E steamer?
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2021, 12:10:24 PM »
It's a 226E and a 225E in a lash up. The 225E has the coupler on the pilot.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2021, 06:29:53 PM »
Here's the first train running on the middle level.

That will live on that loop. It fits perfect on the siding behind the 922 scenic plot:

Here's end views showing clearance  to the switches:

The little red wires are jumpers until I get the blocks wired. Tommorrow I'll do the industrial area.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2021, 05:24:03 AM »
You have made some great progress.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2021, 12:41:36 AM »
Now I'm in the phase where every day shows big results. I finished the bridge and the track around the west side industrial area. I'll add some sidings off the line that goes back to the roundhouse in the future. 

Here's the westside running:

That's my youngest standard gauge train set. I was surprise it ran right out of the box. The lead and trailing wheels on the loco have swelled a bit, but I was able to pull them  off the axles and switch them around so they work.

I also unboxed a bunch of items and put them out and cleaned the shelves under the layout in the walk in aisle so I can put the standard gauge operating trains out. 

I started to do the track around the 840 powerstation, but the roadbed was filthy. I have a few boxes of original Lionel rubber roadbed from the 1930s. A lot of it is just trashed. I picked out enough to do the circle and switch and popped them into the washer:

The laundry room is on the other side of the wall my desk is at. The washer has been banging, clanking  and whirring for a while now. We'll see how it comes out. 

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
Your Standard gauge is looking great. Very nice. When I was a little kid I was in the hospital. I think the big green one is what they had around the Christmas tree. I was 6 or 7 years old!

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2021, 11:31:54 AM »
Terry
Ha Ha Ha, popped them in the washer. :)
My old "young" lady would have a fit if I did that. lol

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2021, 12:01:40 PM »
I had to vacuum out the crumbs and then I washed the dog's saddle blankets. The stuff smelled up the garage and basement good, but now I've either gotten used to it, or it's stopped outgassing.

cndctr111

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2021, 02:08:23 PM »
Love how the upper layout is coming out. How did you attach the tempered glass? I have a section on my layout that I need some type of border to keep trains from flying off the table, I had one accident already with a Marx 1829, it wasn't pretty.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2021, 08:38:45 PM »
I bought 3/16" tempered glass shelving at a store display warehouse. I bought all the peices I could find in the area. All glass seems to be going to construction. 

The white trim board is mounted to a 5/16" plywood spacer. The carpet wraps down leaving a gap slightly smaller than the glass. The carpet compresses. The glass pulls out if I need to get up on the layout.

I also made fencing with dowels which will go between the middle level and tyhe lower mainlines once I get most of the middle houses and such wired. I think I posted pictures earlier of the dowels.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2021, 05:21:50 AM »
More movies and pictures of your standard gauge. Looking great.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2021, 01:20:07 AM »
Here's an article I wrote for the local club newsletter:

Providing The Layout With Power

On my standard gauge layout I need lots of power so I have my own power station and run a special coal unit train to provide energy.  We have power to burn.  We also have a windmill so we can water our horses.

This is a 1929 Lionel 318 coal train running around on original period track and rubber roadbed. The train came with the black loco, three hoppers with coal loads and the black roofed red caboose. I added a few more hoppers because they are cheap and neat.

The 840 power station and the 140 sheet brass tunnel are the two biggest Lionel accessories.  The cardboard mountains are copies of original 1925 Lionel backdrops. The tin fence is from the 1930s. The windmill is from a 1950s kit.

There are currently four Lionel 250 Watt Z transformers, and a small 100 watt fixed voltage transformer under this area of the layout.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2021, 02:38:20 AM »
Here's 5 trains running at once on the standard gauge layout.

This is the first time I ever ran the American Flyer wide gauge. I bought that set without the stock car from the original owner about 14 years ago. It runs nice.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2021, 04:46:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing your Standard Gauge. You have been busy. They look great. I love the sound of toy trains running on Lionel tube track!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2021, 12:48:11 PM »
I like the noise too. Years ago I cut additional slots into the rails on a layout so it would make even more noise.

I've been working on adding these bridges to the mains:

The depth of the water wasn't low enough so I had to lower it:

I have a Dremel Oscillating Cutter which is slow, but worked well and didn't throw too much dust. It did burn a bit so the house smelt like I'd had some cub scouts playing with wood buring kits in the basement.

The ties on the new track are not wide enough to fit on the bridges. I only had American Flyer teis and some were too long so I cut them down:

Sincer I had the Dremel out I also started cutting the switches to make the closely spaced yard that will be in front of the turntable:

I broke all the shafts I had. The reinforced cutting disks don't break, the little screws that hold them on break.