Author Topic: Jim's Layout  (Read 66506 times)

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's Layout
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2021, 11:39:34 AM »
I have 3 diners made by Madison Hardware on the layout. 2 are 637 yellow/brown City of Denver coaches, one is a Lionel Ives 1691 observation. They can be seen in my videos and I think were also posted when we had the topic of Madison hardware going.

Cool, too bad you couldn't post them in the Prewar Diner thread.
I have never seen any but on eBay, which is rare.
You discussed it? Where?
Toss me a clue.........or link?
Thanks

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2021, 12:26:29 PM »

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2021, 04:53:07 AM »
Thanks, Terry, I forgot where we discussed the Madison items.

CNJRR

• "The Biggest Little Railroad"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2021, 06:59:14 AM »

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2021, 04:36:40 AM »
Jim. In looking at some of your layout pictures while you where in the construction, I saw Lionel 022 switches. Are they O gauge tube track or are they that T rail? I thought I also saw some Gargraves track. Can you make other type track match into you T rail?

SORRY - after viewing you thread n the layout I saw how you make the connections to the T-rail
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
I do have a couple of T-Rail to Tube adapter tracks, mainly in the accessory yard as there are no T-Rail operating tracks, like RCS or UCS. I did make 1, but too time-consuming.
The upper level loop, over the standard gauge loop is 072 tube track, also the ramp leading to it and the bench-level return loop. To make the return loop fit, I had to go with some 031 curves and regular 022 switches. Also a couple of 022's in the accessory yard (see Santa's Naughty/Nice Coal Co video).  The unit train and doubleheader video was published last night.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2021, 02:53:20 PM »
Saw it. Another great job.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2021, 04:30:17 AM »
The lack of UCS / RCS type operating tracks and insulated outside rail tracks, are my disappointment with the T-Rail system. I have tried to conform Marx copper track over-lay trips to outside rails for accessories. It works to some degree, but the overlay moves around and has to keep being adjusted. I have made trips for 154 flashers and 069 ringers with a small brass strip, conformed to the rail over a small piece of black tape. This actually works fairly good.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
I've been going nuts trying to figure out how to make my 154 flasher work off my insulated rails. I'm think going to put 155 bell mechanisms under the layout to run them.

Anyway with the trips. . .  I have tubs of HO scale trips and actuators. Some of them have 3-second delays from when they are tripped to when they turn on. Some are directional and have on and off actuators meaning you need a whole unit for each direction. Most run on weird low voltage DC -- like 3 or 4.5 volts.  Most will only cover one track so you need one for each track at the crossing. None of them will allow any current.

And to top it off they are $30-50 EACH.

MTH made a thing called an ITAD. Infra Red Train Detector. It's like a 153C but uses a timer and a beam of bounced light. I think it covers multiple tracks, but only does one direction. They are $25-35 each on eBay.

If I didn't have the insulated outside rails, I'd use the ITADs. I don't like the looks of them, but I think they'd be OK with a bit of cosmetic alteration.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2021, 04:46:55 AM »
To make the 154 work the "old school" way, but not using a 154C, put a piece of black tape about 1-1/2" long on a regular outside rail, cut 2 thin strips of brass about 1/4" wide, 2" long. Bend the brass strips over the tape-covered rail, so the long part extends outward. (solder wires to the strips first, so the tape is not melted). Connect the 2 wires plus one from the center rail to appropriate 1,2,3 terminals on the 154. I usually attach the strips to the inside rail on a curve, so inertia of the train prevents the bump of going over the strips. I do the same but with a single strip for a 069 / 69 prewar ringer. This gives a more-pleasant Ding-ding, than a constant ring like a doorbell.
If anyone is interested, I will post pictures.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2021, 05:51:38 AM »
I have not posted any layout pix lately, as I have been concentrating on videos.
I have just spent some time wiring lights in a few other locations that have been "dark".
Here are some "night shots" of my progress.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2021, 05:55:17 AM »
I just noticed an interesting, but not intentional effect that resulted.
Some of the brighter lights, such as floodlight towers appear to be "broadcasting". The light has created a wave pattern.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
Yep. I see what you are saying Jim. Broadcasting?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »
The "broadcasting" is a neat effect. Can you see it with a naked eye? Maybe if you blink realy realy fast?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »
Jim you have an awesome layout with the best stuff. I had one of those red and white stations. I sure wish I had kept it. I’ve let some nice stuff go. I have trouble staying focused on what I like. I’m always changing directions?? It’s like I’m a postwar train person but got side lined when the CV-19 came. Now I  like prewar. The little 259 & the 1673,74,75 car are great. Runs so good!

Even all your boxes are so cool.  When you make a video with the camera riding around and we see all your boxes and knowing most those boxes have trains in them!!  Yesterday the USPS guy delivered another 6456 2 bay hopper. It came in a really nice box. I thought of you and all your boxes.

In the late 1980’s I was at a train show near the New Orleans airport. I bought a single dome metal tank car. It was in the box. Paid $ 35.00 for it. A guy ask me what I had and he ask to see it. Then he offered me $ 50.00 for the box. I sold it to him. Had the tank car for free with enough money for lunch!