Author Topic: Jim's Layout  (Read 90263 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Jim's Layout
« on: May 10, 2020, 05:23:37 AM »
This is Jim,
I have removed all the "stuff" from my layout that was there as staging for YouTube videos and am back to finishing construction. I had to remove part of the upper level structure so the perimeter could be painted green. I mix sawdust in with the latex paint to simulate landscape/grass. My Dad taught me this trick in the 1950's.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Jim's Layout
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 06:07:46 AM »
Having problems getting photos to acceptable size, will try again later.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »
Jim, I moved your layout post into it's own thread. This way in six months your progess will be easily seen.

I'm trying model this board after a VW board that works well.

You mention grass is sawdust in paint. I have questions. . .

I was looking at your gray ballast. Is that just sand in paint?

I tried some playground sand and white paint. I painted the area where the track goes and then poured sand on. Then after it dried, I vacuumed up the extra sand and painted over it again. I tried it with and without masking tape, and the tape is better.

Is that what you're doing?

Terry

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:17:41 PM »
I have been away since this morning, but now will get back to trying to get photos uploaded.
To answer your question, the gray paint under the T-rail is just dark gray paint, no sawdust. I am making ballast by screening driveway fill. A lot of work but good results.
I have not been masking any areas, just hand-painting to keep it natural. My benchwork is 30" high, basic 1x4 frame with 1/2" plywood. I covered the plywood with 1/16" cork to hide seams and to help control noise.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
Photo of layout with staging for videos removed, ready for painting and upper level construction.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 03:40:41 PM »
2nd photo of layout from opposite corner

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »
Accessory pile

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
Note that I have only been able to upload pictures in thumbnail form, but they can be enlarged with a left click.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »
You're a bit farther along than me Jim. I like the packed in toy look.

I'm going to see if I can find add ins that will make the pictures easier to use. On the VW board users upload pictures in one area and then call them into posts. That seems like too much work.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 05:37:18 AM »
As I noted I have only been able to upload pictures as thumbnails, which can be enlarged a bit with a click when posted. I was wondering how you uploaded such large pictures of your 150 and 700 series electrics. I have some that I want to post, but am saving them until I can resolve this issue and present them in the same format / size as you do.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 05:55:50 AM »
Everyone has their own ideas and parameters of what a layout should be. Good reason why we like seeing others' layouts.
Mine has always been a degree of scale / natural scenery, but trees are all bottle-brush and pine cones that I paint, plus a bit of lichen and real rocks. I can get ballast out of our drive and rocks by the lake. I like to have a mountain / tunnel feature somewhere in a corner, using plaster over chicken-wire. Lately I have used spray foam / great stuff, spray it on, easy to carve when dry, can add thin layer of plaster over it.
99% of my accessories must be vintage Lionel, AF, Ives or German, same with signals. Figures are mostly lead, but a few plastic.
My Lake Shore Railway and Hole in the Wall Railway videos on you tube show how I combine these elements.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 05:30:10 AM »
Progress is being made on my layout, The Lake Shore Railway.
I had done some quick "staging" for YouTube videos that I produced, but have removed all the trains and accessories and returned to construction mode.
As construction progresses, I will begin adding more construction photos to Forum. Operation and construction on the LSRR can also be viewed by using the link to my channel posted below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUfhIqTj6nbDLmY3rXzvn7g

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 05:37:34 AM »
The Lake Shore Railway has 2 T-rail main lines, tubular short-line and upper level plus a Standard Gauge oval under the UL. An 8 track yard including loco storage and maintenance plus operating accessories, 164, 97, 165, 342 etc is currently under construction. The yard will be all T-rail. I operate mostly Lionel Prewar and postwar, but also some modern and some Marx, hope to include some AF O also.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 05:09:41 PM »
I looked at some of the videos you posted on youtube of your layouts. I don't see them as being cluttered, but you have lots of stuff on them. Seems balanced.

Maybe it's because the trains are cool? If you had MTH locos talking at me, it might seem different than watching a string of 814R reefers go past.

I finished all my outdoor chores today and will start working on my layouts again this weekend.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 08:41:05 AM »
Progress is being made on the recently annexed property for a locomotive storage and maintenance facility, storage tracks and industrial area.
The benchwork is complete, surfaced with cork, then painted with dark gray paint, mixed with woodland scenics ballast. Note the "ash pit" that the 2 loco tracks will span.