Author Topic: Test tracks and rollers  (Read 6449 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Test tracks and rollers
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:51:03 PM »
I was asked about my roller base. So here's a whole topic just for test tracks and rollers.

The wooden base unit was made in texas in the late 1960s or early 1970s. HO units are somewhat common, the O gauge are harder to find but out there if you look. The label fell off mine years ago so I can't be more specific about the maker. This unit is always within arm's reach.

You don't need a roller set for each wheel. For a 6 driver steam loco you just put a roller set under the two outside wheels. For a single motor diesel the dummy truck goes on the uncoupler track.

The similar wood roller HO units are OK for diesels, but don't work well for steam locos or DCC. There just isn't good enough electrical contact for them. I sold the last one I had because it wasn't worth the space to store it. More on HO later. 

There are also really common O and g gauge roller sets that sit on the tracks. You can see them in the pictures below:

I keep the rollers in a drawer. I thought about selling the extra O gauge rollers, but decided I'd modify them to make S gauge rollers. 

The roller sets that sit on the tracks are sold under as Polk's Hobby  (# PLK50101 is the O gauge), and under the ARDUK name.

The big LGB track has strips of brass glued to the ties. Those are to test smaller trains. With the smaller trains it's just too hard to put it on the track to test it.

OO and HO just ride on top of the brass to test.

For N gauge, the loco is put on the wide strip then pushed back until it touches the smaller strip. It sits in the gap.

I can test the small locos as fast as I can place them on the enegriozed strips and wiggle them around. I could probably do it blindfolded.

cndctr111

• View Profile
Re: Test tracks and rollers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »
Thanks for posting, I bought a set for myself, they come in a set of 4 (one with power contact). They are sold by Micro Mark now.

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Test tracks and rollers
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 05:08:43 PM »
Banks for the Micro mark comment. I aim to get some!
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog