Author Topic: Some Interesting Lionel Items  (Read 81270 times)

early0electric

• View Profile
Re: Some Interesting Lionel Items
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
In regards to the 154, not only does it have the cast iron wheels and the Corp motor, but it has a transition body (three holes on each end plus slots on one end for a strap headlight), gold handrails, rounded roof corners, no revere switch unit, and to me, the most perplexing are the couplers. The couplers are the later through the frame type but they are painted black! Rivet couplers were painted black!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2020, 09:18:22 PM »
I have one rounded roof 154 and it's not like the one above or the two you wrote about in the Greenberg book.

Mine has late hoods with one hole and two slots for headlight. Gold handrails, hand reverse early type frame with horizontial screws, and type 4 motor with type 5 pick up plate. With the cab off, you can see it still has the original wires and it's a factory repaint and was originally dark olive green.  In the chronology mine would go between pages 113 and 115 in the book.

Here's some pictures:

There's an error on the 154 listing on page 115 of the book. Says "7. Reverse switch mounted between motor side frames." Same error on page 117. Both those locos have the late bodies with the reverse mounted on the frame.

I saw a MAROON 154 once. It's the one that got away. I saw it in a liveauction in Maine back in the early internet days. Maybe 1998 or 99. I bid 500 for it, and it sold on the next bid at 525.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the same maroon 154  as I mentioned earlier or not. It went through NETTE in 2009. It's the only maroon 154 sold on liveauctioneers as far as they go back.

Hey -- That's a round roof too!

Here's the auction. . .

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6117734_686-nette-rare-lionel-154-maroon-electric

The live auctions don't go back all the way. Or maybe the one I saw was on a different platform. The Maroon 154, the olive green tank and any 706 loco are my hot wants.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2020, 03:53:29 PM »
Yep, took a look at 115 and 117. Definitely mounted to the frame. I heard sometimes there is misinformation to catch plagiarism but I do not know if this was a case of that. By the way, I also bid on the maroon 154 on Liveauctioneers and I also came up short. Really nice piece, whoever has it. 

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »
Here's another jewel in my collection. When do you ever see these?

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
Here's another print block 6 1/2" x 4 1/2" of Lionel early period O gauge electrics. Page is from 1915 catalog.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
Terry - The link you posted is for an eBay auction. I don't see a PDF. - Mike

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
Here's the link. See page eight "Bottom of the Box" is title of article.

https://www.tcadd.org/news/2020/Oct2020_news.pdf

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
That's a good story. It's always encouraging to hear of early stuff still out there untouched by years of collectors passing items around. The 1917 catalog is missing the front cover. The back cover is there, it's the same as the other half of the wraparound of my original ones.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 09:41:26 PM »
This is one of the first things I bought on eBay. December 1998. I saw this and bid some large for me then amount of money like $500 or something like that. Then waiting to see if I'd won. I wasn't even sniping back then.

I remember going to the post office to get a money order so it had to have been a new experience.

I paid $11.xx for it including the shipping. I gave it to my dad for Christmas which is why I think it was in December.

It's missing a headlight and the base. It's a 25th anniversary paperweight.

I have it sitting on an 11 flatcar.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Lionel 822 caboose factory error
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2021, 10:48:04 PM »
I just got this neat  caboose.

822f3 NYC oval in black, maroon sides, one end has 822 to right of door, gold corp stamp on bottom, trucks without slots.

Didn't spot the error? Here's a clue:

No copula window on one side. Oddly the factory error Wabash caboose I have is the same era as it's my 822F2. I try to use the same letters Mike used in the Greenberg book.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2021, 11:20:50 AM »
Here's an 801 that I have with the same error.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2021, 01:25:54 PM »
That's neat. I have three factory errors in early O and all are cabooses.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2021, 04:41:39 AM »
I wish I still had it, but many years ago I had a 117 standard gauge caboose that had one window high, other was low on one side. Confirms errors on cabooses, most errors are in window placement. From my Marx Trains production experience, windows are often a separate punch operation, so the main die can be used for multiple car types. Because of this, there is more opportunity for error in placing the car blank in the die incorrectly, or getting distracted and forgetting to punch one side. I have some of our Marx error pieces, and most are windows being punched on the wrong location on a caboose. Also have a boiler for the Disney loco where 2 sets of punches were made for the domes and stack on the top.