Author Topic: Double heading postwar Lionel  (Read 91822 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Re: Double heading postwar Lionel
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2021, 10:16:46 AM »
I give up. I tried putting a lead 675 in front. They ran through the 031 curve great. Problem is when they hit the straight track the rear truck on the lead tender stay’s to the left.  Like it’s still in the curve. Strange thing is on a right turn it does not do that. The truck goes straight?

That would say that there is some kind of obstruction on the pilot that does not allow the coupler return to straight. I’ve polished many times and still have the problem.

So I’m going to make another bracket and come for the pilot truck as David Smith did. Guess I’m starting over again.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2021, 01:22:48 PM »
check the whistle wiring on the tender. If the wire is stiff it could be prevent the truck from swiveling.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2021, 01:36:55 PM »
WOW - Never thought of that Terry.  You may have something there. Food for thought!!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
I did change the wires on the tender whistle. They where pretty stiff.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2021, 05:53:41 PM »
 I think wide radius track makes the difference. I am also convinced that the shape of the T-rail-head gives me more traction. I have a 2025 for the lead engine, because it was my best smoker and is the same as a 675. My coupler pilot is on a 675. I had a successful run with 6 cars, then spent some time cleaning and oiling wheels until I had 20 #6454 type 8-1/4" boxcars and 2 lighted cabooses, total 22 cars, 24 if you count the tenders. The tenders that I used have the whistle wiring removed, so it would not give any trouble. Using a prewar Z 250W transformer, I ran the train on my outside main line. I synced the E-units in forward. The train had no trouble at start-up, no slipping, and both motors have Baldwin Disc drivers with slick SS tires. It ran smooth at just under 15 volts (on the dial). With no slippage, I am not at the limit of the 2 locos. 072 T-rail and all cleaned / oiled wheels makes this possible. I was surprised and pleased with the results. This train is ready to star in a "Double header / Unit Train" video. I also noticed that I got a lot more smoke output when the locos were working harder pulling 22 cars, than with just pulling 6 cars. I will post some photos.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »
Some quick pix of setting up the 675 / 2025 unit train with one on the inside main of 6464 boxcars pulled by 2 Milwaukee Rd GP7's.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
Good job Jim. 072 does the trick I think. It’s not going to happen on 031 with this set up. I’m going to make a bracket attach to the pilot truck and see if I can get it done that way.

Looking forward to your video.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »
Are you sure that the loco pilot is not hitting a wheel on the tender in front, causing derailments?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2021, 06:19:18 PM »
Beforte you give up, turn the loco and the tender it's following over and couple them together to see if the binding is in the couplers. I have a piece of carpet in a mitrebox type arangement I use for holding larger locos, and a chunk of soft foam material with a groove cut out for smaller locos. Flex it around and see if you can spot a hang up.

If you're like me, you should lok at it, then take the dog for a walk or take a nap. After a few hours maybe you'll see what you're missing.

I once spent 15 minutes putting a new cord on a 1033 transformer and washing the case just to realize the post for the handle was broken off when I started putting it back together again. I get so focused that I end up missing things.

Jim's idea with the pilot hitting is also good. Turning them over might show that. How about doing a video of it running and derailing. It should derail in about the same place so you know where to stand with the camera.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
Especially Jim. I’m sure the pilot is clear of the trailing truck on the lead tender.  I was right up between the two. The tenders wheel never gets straight when it clears the curve and enters the straight track. I did chance the whistle wiring to thin soft wire but never tried it again as we had allot to do this afternoon with Miss Sharons doctors.

I just think 031 track is killing me here. Also I’ve cut so much pilot material off I’m afraid the pilot is going to fail.

It’s frustrating cause I have 042 & 054 I was just short on space so I used 031!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2021, 06:33:13 PM »
Damn Terry You may have a point there with the coupler binding up. Then thought went through my head this morning but never stayed there long enough to soak in. I could have a coupler problem. I’ll work that in the morning.

I remember seeing that there almost NO room between the couplers for slipping around. It’s real tight. I even have trouble getting them to couple they are so tight!!!

I think I’ll put on another coupler!

I just checked they coupler on my trailing 675. The coupler is real tight. There is not hardly any play between the two couplers. In the morning I’m going to swap out a coupler. I’ll make a video also.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2021, 04:23:53 AM »
Terry is probably right. Check your clearances, make sure you don't have a bent truck frame on the tender. Upside down and right side up. Test run on curves and you should eventually see what is binding. Try with a different tender and see if the same thing happens at the same point, that eliminates the tender as the problem and indicates a problem with the coupler swing. If you had to remove the cow-catcher for clearance, it could be left off to give a "switcher" look, or like my double-head 226E, re-attach with thin strips of brass. The important thing is getting it to operate. Does the coupler swing freely in the slot. I centered mine with a shoulder screw and washer to make sure there was no contact top or bottom. I can provide you these 2 parts if needed (screw and washer), but it would only work if you have the coupler slot milled-out the same thickness as mine.
You have a lot of time invested, so some tweaking may be all that you need. Let me know. Some of this may be duplication of what has already been discussed, just trying to cover the bases. Jim

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2021, 04:32:57 AM »
I was real tired this morning and was going to sleep in but the double heading project kept bothering me. So I went to the man cave after a cup of coffee. Changed out a coupler. This coupler has much more room between couplers. Looks bad but trying to find the problem. Made a run and had trailing engine derailments. made bracket adjustments. Got better but still trailing engine derailments.

Turns out it appears that I had several problems. First the trailing engine front coupler is to tight with the tender coupler. Second problem is the trailing engines pilot truck is hitting the 2/56 bolt holding the coupler bracket to the pilot.

I made a run without the trailing engines pilot truck and had a good run EXCEPT now my two bay hopper cars are not staying coupled. I've had this before. If I oil the wheels it will stay together I hope.  Does not happen when I use the modern Mikado?

As Terry had said I made many videos to find the problem.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2021, 04:51:47 AM »
I put all my 6456 two bay hoppers on so I could have a nice long consist but now the cars are coming apart as they run. If I oil the trucks this will go away. Plus I put the worse cars at the back of the consist and that also helps.

Wish I had ball bearings to put on all the car axles?

The ugly guy in the beginning of this video is me?
I need to get a good video editor!

I oiled all the wheels on the Lionel two bay hoppers and the caboose. Everybody stays together now. Tonight I'll fix the pilot truck on the trailing 675. Probably just drill and tap the 2/56 bolt forward a smiggen!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2021, 02:39:34 PM »
It sounds like you got it. How many hoppers did you pull, it was hard to count. It looked like a long train.