Author Topic: Double heading postwar Lionel  (Read 91781 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Double heading postwar Lionel
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2021, 11:06:57 AM »
I had not thought about the pilot truck with spring on the top. I will have to look at that.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2021, 11:32:52 AM »
You sure where right about the travel in the coupler. I’m no where close to enough pivot travel.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2021, 01:37:11 PM »
I was able to make it all work and have the pilot together, now have to reassemble the loco.
I slightly bent the pilot truck to shorten it, have to watch other clearances when you do this.
I re-bent another Irvington coupler, so now it is at the right level and does not let the coupler plunger and spring escape.
I mounted the coupler from underside with the same type screw as the pilot truck is mounted with. I think it is 6-32, has a shoulder and a beveled small head.
I had to modify a fiber washer with a flat side, so it fit up against the back of the pilot.
Some minor bending of the shank for correct height and touch-up with black-oxide blackener and done!
The coil coupler could still be energized, as the power lug is there, if I want to make it operate.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2021, 02:08:17 PM »
Ill say it again, you do nice work. Wish I had one of those Irvington couplers. But by making your own bracket it’s easier I think.

Can’t wait for your movie of the 675’s.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2021, 05:14:49 AM »
I got the 2/56 hole drilled & tapped. Also put the coupler on the bracket. Added a washer to the 2/56 end of the bracket. Bolted the coupler to the bracket. All I need to do now is add some wire to reinforce the bracket so it will not fold up under the load. I tested the coupler to the tender and I think it's super close.

I should add that the pilot truck clears the 2/56 bolt well. I think I have enough pivot for the coupler. I'll need to mount to the engine to be sure. Was allot harder than I thought it would be.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2021, 05:53:47 AM »
It looks like it should work. How are you keeping the coupler jaw closed?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2021, 08:07:26 AM »
Howdy Jim:

My coupler stays shut cause there’s a pin up the bottom. I think It will stay shut? Time will tell. Just a few minutes ago I soldered some wire to help support the copper. I think this will also work out? Painted it all flat black. Waiting for the paint to dry and I’ll put everything back together and get it on the 675. I also need to look at the second 675 smoke unit. It’s not putting out enough like all the other liquid units?

Pictures to follow.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »
Sounds like you are ahead of me now. I got slowed down in assembly, looking for a good smoke unit.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2021, 03:21:36 AM »
I hope to put the pilot on the 675 engine today and do some testing.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2021, 04:51:38 AM »
It looks like we are neck-and-neck on this project. I am not sure if I will make any progress today, as I have to deal with the snow at our house and my sister across the street. Lovely weather we are having in the sunny south.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2021, 05:26:05 AM »
My front coupler lines up perfect with the tender coupler. I’m shocked that the first attempt was right on? I don’t think I’ve ever had that luck in my whole life. Maybe the train Gods are going to smile on me today?

I can’t compete with you Jim. You have an enormous parts supply. I wish I had the Irvington bracket you have. And to think you have more? Plus I think you have more time to do trains. I’m a nurse most of the day. Plus I’m no dog duty all day. Benjamin is very demanding. Plus he’s a super friend. A black & white sheltie.

I’m no hold right now as I’m waiting on the lock tight to set up. The keeps my 2/56 bolt in place. I didn’t have an extra collared bolt to use so I’m setting my bolt with lock tight. This pilot will not be used for anything else but the double heading so lock tight will work for this job.

Now to put everything back together on the engine and give it a go!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2021, 08:44:18 AM »
I tried a run with the 675's doubled up but the leading tender got derailed by the second locomotive coupler. I need to clear out more pilot material in order for this to work. BUT - I'm real close. Maybe tonight?

Using a drill bit I enlarged the opening for the coupler bracket. I just did a test by just pushing the engine through the 031 curve and watched the leading tender trailing truck very closely. It worked fine I think now I have it. Now repaint the pilot. Then reassemble the engine.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2021, 04:42:59 AM »
It sounds like you have it. I hope to get back to my project before the end of the week.
I had 2 of the long-shank coil couplers in my parts box. I wrecked the first one, you can only bend it so many times, lucky to have the second one.
The weather and projects have made me neglect our Ebay business. Social Security barely pays the bills, so I have to get back to that. I work in a garage that has heat, but bad insulation, so I can not raise the temp past 50 degrees when it is this cold, or I get condensation drips all over everything. We finally have some 50 degree temps in the long-range forecast, but still only 13 degrees this AM. Also more snow coming today.
In June we will complain that it is 95 degrees and 100% humidity.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2021, 07:51:56 AM »
I'm not real happy with what I have for the 675 double header. The material that is left to hold the teeth to the rest of the casting is super thin. I'k sure it's going to break off. If you have a wider radius track this would be fine but for 031 it's not a good plan?

I'm ready to give it a go with the two 675's. I make pictures and a video but I'm going to find another pilot and do this over. The way David Smith did it the pilot truck is always following the tender in front. I had one of these but the MTH Z4000 gave me trouble driving two post war locomotives on the same track? But now that I'm back using  ZW's I should be good with the smith option! maybe!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2021, 08:19:59 AM »
I gave the 675’s a try. Went through the 031 curve great. Looks stupid but made it through the curve. Then the tender truck derailed as it made it to the straight???  WTF. I decided I was not smart enough to do this on 031 curves. Maybe if the engine was on the lead tender it would be pulling the tender and keep it in line? I’ll try it?

This should be fun not frustrating. I already have enough frustration in my life.

Another thing that happened. As I put the 675 plus the lead tender on the track when I applied the power the ZW gave me a short. I moved the engine & tender and gave it power again and it ran a couple feet and shorted again? I thought what has the engine, coupler and tender have to do with a short if your on straight track. I messed with if a few minutes then saw a spark. A power wire from the tenders collector to the whistle had come lose and was hitting the wheel? Now I realize the train Gods are messing with me. Damn this is fun!