Author Topic: Double heading postwar Lionel  (Read 67569 times)

pjdog350

• View Profile
Double heading postwar Lionel
« on: January 18, 2021, 04:49:18 AM »
Sense I've been running my postwar Lionel steamers and giving the modern engine a rest.  I thought I'd like to double head a couple postwar Lionel. I thought maybe a 224 & a 675. I think they have the same motor. I have a couple of those. I made a coupler for a couple of MTH Mikado's back in 2012. They looked great running around the layout. However I sold them back in 2013. Some times I get brain farts that make me do stupid things. Sure wish I had all the MTH I sold back then

Anyway - I did a search to see if there was any information that maybe someone had put out on the net showing how they did it. The MTH was easy but the old Lionel don't really have the steam chest for it. The first thing that came up on the internet search was a guy named dsmith. He had a super coupler made up that attached to the pilot wheels. I have everything except a extra set of pilot wheels. I'll call my friend in New York today and order a set of 224 pilot wheels. This should be a fun project. 

On the 10th post on the following link you will see pictures of the coupler build.

He posted an article in Classic toy train back in 2010. http://cs.trains.com/ctt/f/95/t/172006.aspx
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Double heading postwar Lionel
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 04:35:22 AM »
I have a prewar 226E with a front coupler installed that I double-head with a 225E. I have pulled over 20 2655 boxcars plus caboose and at least 15 2816 hoppers. This is a feat for prewar locos, as they have slippery stainless-steel driver-tires and no Magnetraction.
I am currently working on a video that will feature all unit trains and double-headers, steam/diesel, prewar and postwar.

You can see this at my channel link

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCUfhIqTj6nbDLmY3rXzvn7g

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 05:18:51 AM »
I’m looking forward to seeing that video. You make the best movies ever. I subscribe to your channel and monitor it very day.

The latest movie with all the scale Hudsons was superb. I didn’t know there where people that ran these super valuable old Lionel trains. I’m jealous!!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 04:47:28 AM »
Thanks for your comments. When I got my first Hudson, I probably never would have thought about running it, and of course did not have the required T-Rail track at that time. It has been a long-term goal to build a T-rail layout and eventually use it for what it was meant for. Once cleaned and lubricated, they run quite well, but require a high-powered Lionel Z transformer, especially with the Railchief passenger set. I tried with a ZW and the train runs then stalls. Surprisingly the tiny scale couplers held together, so no accidents.
The Double-header and unit trains video is coming along, hope to have it published this week. It will have a mix of Prewar and Postwar.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 05:22:58 AM »
Howdy starfire700. I sent you an email. Your videos are great. Best I’ve ever seen on you tube. I watch you stuff everyday. I saw a bunch of LIONEL 1700’s in one of your ‘Hole in the wall VOL III’ videos.

Is it a private editor you use or can to share what you use for your movies. Is it just you or do you have a team of folks that help with the production process? It must take allot of time to do one of your productions?

I have a new Lionel 224E pilot trucks coming. Should be here today. I can start the fabrication of the coupler. Then do a double headed postwar. I think I’m going to use a 675 & 224e. May get an other 224? I’ve been thinking of getting another 675 so I could have smoke with the double headed set. It sure is fun messing with these old trains.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:09:31 AM »
Howdy back,
Glad to hear that someone noticed!
I use a GoPro Black 8 camera, can mount it to a tripod, set between tracks on benchwork or mount to a car that I push past the "action". I also use my android phone for still photos on the layout and outside (I like our natural environment and show it as much as possible).
I use HD Movie maker Pro, a program bought in the Microsoft app store, I think it was $10, don't bother with the free ones.
The program lets me add and edit video and still photo clips, has neat transitions, text-overlay feature, other features like slo-motion that I still need to explore. Also can record sounds to my phone, add separate to the video, sound can be edited. You tube has an audio library with more free music than you would think. Occasionally I am required to give credit on the last clip.
It is a lot of work, moving trains and lights around and setting-up the camera. The Gopro has a wide field of vision, so it can be difficult to keep undesirable elements, like MYSELF out of the scene. I do have an occasional helper, but do most myself. Please ask anytime, if I can answer any questions. Jim

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 05:31:52 AM »
Thanks for the information. I also have the GoPro black 8 camera. I bought it to use when flying a new RC planes. The camera never lies but you mind will say you did something you don’t think you did. I started the GoPro for first flights because if I didn’t I always seems to crash my new planes. I have a hat mount for the camera.

A good idea to put the camera on a flat car to record a train run.

thanks again.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 04:53:24 AM »
Because the GoPro's were designed for outdoor activities, they can produce an undesirable "fish-eye" effect when used close up. My 3 earliest videos of the "Hole in the Wall Ry" at our previous house, were shot with my old GoPro Hero 3, which could not adjust for fish-eye. You can see the dramatic difference when I got the GoPro 8 and started shooting the Lake Shore Ry videos. The GP8 has a linear feature, shows-up as cinematic on my screen, that gives un-distorted views. The width and depth of field that these cameras have is amazing.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 06:42:22 AM »
Jim:

I need to check my GoPro. It may be a Hero 3.

I do aim to down load the editor you told me about today.

I ran into a little trouble doing the double heading of the 675 & 224. The 224 just stops with a short but the Z4000 does not identify the short? So it will be a little bench time with the 224. It’s a sweet engine. I’ve always liked the 224. It was my first train in 1946. I have 2 of them at my daughters house. Also a 226 & 225. I think they all use the same motor. But my 224’s seem to run a little slower than the others?

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 04:36:30 AM »
If not a minor issue with the headlight wire, check the drum in the E-unit. Wear on the nubs at the ends of the plastic drum can cause it to come loose. Chances are that that would require a new drum.
The motors in the prewar 224E, 225E and 226E look all the same, but do not always interchange as you would think.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 08:58:46 AM »
Thanks for that information Jim. I found a place where the brush holder was rubbing the side of the casting. I serviced the motor and put some electrical tape on the casting. Now the 224 is running great.

I was loading up some pictures and my desktop computer died. I was trying to resize a picture. Guess I need to call the geek squad.

Another problem is there a place where the 224 has a hole in the back top of the casting for a 4/40 bolt to hold the back of the motor to the casting. However my 224 has the receiver for the bolt to far to the left. That tells me the motor in my 224 looks correct but is not a 224 motor.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »
I knew that the motors for the 3 numbers were similar, but also remember some subtle differences that made them difficult to interchange. You found one of those differences.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 04:03:45 AM »
The picture below  shows where the brush holder was  rubbing the casting. The screw driving is pointing to the rub. The person that had this 224 before me did put tape on either side of the E-unit. But sense the bolt holding the back of the motor to the cast is not there. And can not be put there unless another hold is drilled in to the motor receiver? It tells me that this motor was not the original motor for the 224. But it is a super running motor. Most my postwar engines have to go fast to be run But the 224 runs well as it should and at a correct speed.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 05:03:46 AM »
224 is running great now.

https://youtu.be/-C-3-iTv-K8

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »
Completed making a coupler on the front of the Lionel 675 attached to the pilot truck. Put the 675 in back and the 224 in front. They ran about ten (10) feet and stopped. The red light was on the MTH Z4000 transformer.  I looked and everything related to the couplers. Didn’t see a problem. However I removed the 675 and added some electrical tape around the makeshift attachment. Tried  it again but got the red light ASAP.

Tried the run the 675 by itself. Red light. Tried the 224 by it self. Red light??????? Turned off the Z4000. Tried the 224 by it self. It ran about ten feet and red light. Now I thinking I broke the MTH Z4000. Turned off the Z4000 for a while. Maybe 5 minutes. Put a modern Lionel Mikado. Ran fine? Tried the modern Hudson. Ran fine. Tired the Modern Hudson with the passenger cars. Draws 2.5 Amps but runs fine. 675 or 224 red light?

Maybe in the morning I switch out the MTH Z4000 for a tried and true Lionel 1952 ZW.