Author Topic: Double heading postwar Lionel  (Read 67708 times)

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
Re: Double heading postwar Lionel
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2021, 04:21:23 PM »
The 236 loco stank last night.  Only god knows what was poured in it over the years. The "cylinder smoke" is the unit's glued seams failing. That would have been failing before.

Otherwise I don't smell it. I can't stand any of the flavored smoke fluids.

You can test the smell by trying it in a 675 just before you're done for the day. If it bothers you, by the time you're back the next day it will be gone. Just do a real short squirt. That will burn out in a few minutes.

I've been using it for 30 years and never had a problem.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2021, 06:28:07 PM »
WD40 is fish oil I believe.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2021, 04:01:34 AM »
I’ve been running the 675’s doubled headed every morning sense I got them working. I really enjoy watching them pulling the 6456 two bay hoppers around. The smoke units really put out the smoke. I normally run them at 7:00 am until 8:15 am. With a 671 or 726 on the other mainline. The smoke fluid is coal scented. Later when I go out to the garage for some reason I can still smell it.

A cup of hot coffee and an hour to enjoy them working is very relaxing to me. I just watch them. I don’t have any coal loaders or log loaders or stuff like that anymore. I my old age I’m just a watcher. I guess I should tell the CDC that the smoke fluid is killing the CV-19 and that’s why I have not got it all these months. Maybe?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2021, 06:01:42 AM »
I had my front 675 coupler come lose while running. I was not paying attention close enough to and the lead 675 slammed into the caboose (6457) and derailed some cars. After that I started watching closely to see what happened. The front coupler on the second 675 was riding down with the front tender coupler riding up. As a result they came apart? Not good.

I’m now working on a new coupler that with not flex as much. I’m a real fan of double heading steamers. Also working on two 224’s to double head. That project is waiting on parts. I need a complete rear truck assembly (224E-21) for a 224 I got on EBay. Things are getting sloppy on EBay. Guy said it didn’t run but didn’t say anything about the rear truck being destroyed. These parts use to be available. They where all over the place but a search on EBay didn’t show a complete assembly. The bought one then they came back and said they didn’t have the part.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2021, 03:54:15 PM »
I got lucky today. Turns out I had enough parts in my parts box to make a 224E-21 rear truck assembly. I sent a picture of the destroyed rear truck to Jim and he said the draw bar was upside down. Which I had told him I’d never seen a rear truck on a 224 like this one. After I was done and saw Jim’s statement about the drawbar I returned to the man cave a corrected the drawbar. Sense I got it upside down I thought I should fix it like I got it.

Thanks Jim. I would have embarrassed myself again.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2021, 08:50:39 PM »
You should post parts requests in the classified section. I don't have any 224 trailing trucks, but I think I have a few from a 229 which is probably the same part?

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2021, 04:51:37 AM »
Thanks for the information Terry. Makes sense to put the parts request there.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »
I think I have made a great front coupler arm that seems to work on 013 track very well. My first coupler arm was made with copper and braced with wire so it didn’t flex. But it seemed to bend over time. I have also found that the lead 675’s motor seems to fall off after a few minutes. I found this as I was using the lead 675 by it self while I was working on the new steel front coupler arm.

Test running the new steel arm using my new 224 is working out well. I’m going to shorten the arm up a little bit at a time to find the perfect length!

Pictures to follow tonight!

I have to get back to my day job before the wife calls the cops!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2021, 03:54:28 PM »
The new steel coupler front arm is working well. I made this from a 225E drawbar I found in my parts box. The drawbar has a place where it drops down like a "V". Using the front coupler arm from the 675 I saw that where the 225E drawbar drops down is at the correct place for attaching the front coupler. I would have to straighten the part of the drawbar where it comes back up again. I think it's to long now but I can work that out. When you are trying to do a front coupler to double head steamers and your on 031 curve track the coupler arm has to travel a long way cause the pilot does not track like the front pilot truck.

Anyway I have some pictures here. I'm just real sure this is going to work out very well. I'll copy this arm for the 675's which I've got parked right now sense the copper arm is not staying where it needs to be and the lead 675 is getting away.

I'll paint the new 224 casting in the morning and by Thursday I should have 675's & 224's double headed. I'm also doing a 2-8-4 front coupler but I've got some things I need to complete that. A bigger layout would be nice too.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2021, 04:28:34 AM »
It looks like the extra length of the drawbar that you are using, should allow more clearance on turns, should perform better. This double-header thing is definitely a learning experience.
I am working on double-heading Lionel Generals, as I had an 1862 already "messed-up" with the cow-catcher broken off. I will post some pix.
I wish it was an 1872 5-star because the sight of 2 of these great smokers pulling together sends a tingle up my spine.
How easily we are amused in our advanced years!

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2021, 05:22:58 AM »
At our age it’s the best rush I can get.

I was working on the 224”s this morning. Had them hooked up with 17 6456 (bought two more)  & a 6457 caboose then I heard noise from the house. In case of an emergency inside I always leave the door from the house to the garage open. Miss Sharon was real upset. I found our dog (Benjamin) had thrown up again. He gets into Miss Sharon’s meds and one is toxic. It causes him problems with his liver. So I do allot of things to protect against this problem but his a dog. My best friend. I think of him as a 4 legged kid not a dog. He is so pretty and smart but he loves to lick the meds??? I cleaned up the mess again but Sharon is awake now so my trains are on hold.

When all this happened I was ready for 224 double heading. I had just got the GoPro and heading to the layout for a basic video. I still don’t have a good video editor or the knowledge on how to use one. I was OK with movie maker but you tube does not like the movie maker format anymore??? That’s the trouble with computers and cell phones. They keep moving forward and I’m stuck in 2002 skills.

Maybe later Miss Sharon, Benjamin and I will go out to the garage with the GoPro and see if we can get a video. I don’t like the long arm on the coupler but with 031 curves it’s a must di thing. The 675 arm didn’t look so long because it’s up inside the pilot. However you really have to butcher the pilot to do it that way. I’m expecting the cow catcher to break at any time there is so little material left holding it together.

Once I get the 224’s working, the 675 new arm I’m going to map out an upper level using 042 or 054 track. Just track nothing else. Track and railing. I’ll do double heading on the upper level.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2021, 08:55:20 AM »
I got to go out to the garage and test the 224's double headed at about 11:00 AM. Had lot's of trouble. It kept failing derailing the lead tenders rear truck? By it self the pair would run fine but as soon as I coupled them up with the 6456 cars it would fail. Worked with it for 15 to 20 minutes. Finally I switched the tenders around. Then it work great. Doing this on 031 track is a real challenge.

https://youtu.be/-0wEF7kRt4o

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2021, 04:42:50 AM »
What model GoPro did you get? Your video is much clearer now, but you have some fish-eye effect (image curves at the edges). Unfortunately most new GoPros do not come with a manual, they expect you to just put it on your helmet and sky-dive. For close-up work, you need the setting that is called "cinematic" on my GoPro. It will straighten-out the image, allow you to get closer to the subject. There are mounts sold on Amazon that allow the GoPro to mount to a tripod for stability. If you want to make a camera car, I can help you with that. You may also want to get some close-up lighting, I use shop type lights with a clamp mount. I have an old microphone stand from my Garage-band days and clamp the light to that. I have to make sure that the light is on the subject, not too close to wash-out and a bit to the side so I do not get the shadow of the camera on the image. I have a shadow problem that you may have noticed, when the camera car moves through an area that is spot-lighted.
Anyway, hope Miss Sharon and Benjamin are doing well, and let me know if you need any help.
I am working on a PRR video with a coal train and heavyweight cars, both double headed, have added lots of lights to stations and lamp posts.
Jim

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
Thanks for the information Jim. I have a hero 3 GoPro. I got it in 2013. I’ve never messed with any of the settings or even looked at the manual. You have a better understanding about videos and allot of skill with your videos. I’ve always know I have a lighting problem out in the garage. If I don’t open the garage door there’s just not enough to light. When I open the door it blinds the camera. I bought it to let me know what really happened on a maiden flight of my RC aircraft. You brain will lie to you when you take off and crash. You will blame everything but yourself.

I found my manual and I’ll look it over to see what’s available for the hero 3.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
I don't think the Hero 3 has the cinematic or linear function. It does take great sharp video, but you will notice the curve in the scene, especially with close-ups.
I have found that lighting the scene with flood or spotlights works better that overhead lighting.
I just published a new video "Lionel Pennsy Power on the Lake Shore Railway". It has GG1's with Irvington cars and my 225 / 226 double-head steamers with a string of 2816 hoppers.
Also contains some surprises, always trying to have fun.
You will also note that most of my videos have dog figures in the close-ups. I know you are a dog lover.