Author Topic: Terry's Standard Gauge Layout  (Read 48346 times)

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
Re: Terry's Standard Gauge Layout
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2021, 02:36:58 PM »
Impressive to see 5 Standard Gauge trains running, I bet it was noisy! Nice with all the different levels. In one shot, it looks like the layout continues into another room, but is that mirrors?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2021, 05:01:08 PM »
All one room. The loop the camera is on is 18 by 27.5 feet. It's the outside loop of the mains. The loops with the 381 and 1835 sets are about 12 by 12 feet.

I really like the way your track (Jim) winds around and among the accessories, but I want to run long trains with little supervision. With the 00 and Marklin I'll try to do less of an oval layout.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2021, 04:33:24 AM »
My inside T-Rail main line does have some curves, but has no switches and of course is 072. I can run long double headed or push-pull trains of 20+ cars on this main and have never had a derailment. The outside T-rail main has 3 switches which occasionally cause a derailment, but I have still had great success running long trains on it. Most Marx can not run the outer main because of the switches. My inside lower-level tubular line has regular O-gauge curves on the reverse-loop under the mountain, it feeds the ramp to the upper level. The ramp and upper level loop over the Standard loop are all 072. The upper loop is relatively fool-proof, with the one modern Lionel switch occasionally giving a problem. Prewar runs better as the tinplate flanges are thicker. I only have a problem with postwar as the thinner flanges sometimes "pick-open the switch frog", then the train derails. For the most part I have had very few derailments.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2021, 12:53:02 PM »
I have derailments frequently. Most are from clutter on the track. Otherwise the switches are the biggest cause.  I'm checking everything to make the layout as trouble free as possible.

One thing I've learned is to put the loco on the track by the transformer. I don't know how many miles I walked because I put the train on by the 101 bridges and then walked around the layout to the transformers.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2021, 05:09:34 PM »
Steps are good for your health. Get a Garman or other fitness monitor.
I have 2 control locations to help with this, but I also have a Garman.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2021, 06:46:29 PM »
See - serves you guys right for all that track. That’s not a problem on the West Pasco County S&B RR. Three steps and I’m at the other end of my Rail Road.
Stay home with your trains and be safe
Life is better with a Dog

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2021, 07:24:42 PM »
You all should get dogs that like to walk like the ugly poodle. Then you'll get some walking in.

I've been packing eBay sales for 90 minutes while the poodle sits and gives me looks:

She doesn't know it yet, but tonight we're going to see the c-h-i-c-k-e-n-s.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2021, 03:04:26 AM »
My Dog Benjamin has his paws full chasing Crows & Squirrels!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
track lights
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2021, 12:16:25 AM »
I've been putting the track lights in, but it's been difficult because The local Home Depots only have a few parts in each store. Some of them say they have parts online, but don't have them when I get there.

I need 4 more feet of track and about 15 heads.  I also need to figure out the lights.

Here's some photos:

Without the track lights:

Same view with the track lights:

The 9 set with three 65 watt bulbs aimed at it:

A few shots with the camera flash and the track lights. See the glare on the ceiling?

Here's some shots with the camera flash off:

This picture shows 65 watt bulbs on the right and two 40 watt bulbs on the left. I can't see  a difference.

These are all LED bulbs so the watts are the equivalence listed on the box. The 65 watt bulbs are 50 cents each. The 40 watt bulbs are $4  each.  I'll try hooking a dimmer into the circuit and see what happens. The 40 watts are the dimmest ones I can find.

I'm sure some of the glare is the low ceiling - only 94 inches. Some might be the ceiling is painted high gloss white like the doors and trim.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2021, 08:49:50 AM »
I like the track lighting you are using. The gloss paint on the ceiling is going to make glare. I think I’m going to look into that to help my garage lighting problems!

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2021, 12:23:48 AM »
I think the track lighting with small hoods and small 40 watt bulbs results in the lowest amount of glare.

I've been modifing Lionel switches so they make closer sidings.  I cut the switch machine part off and also cut the straight off at the frog. Then I put the switch machine onto the other side and painted everything.

I think you can never have enough lights on the layout so I made sure the lights work. The switches don't work, but that wouldn't have been much more work.

Here's some photos:

I need to cut track, but it's too late at night to fire up the chop saw in the garage.

I'll put a bunch of freight cars on the sidings.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2021, 06:24:11 AM »
Looks great Terry. Looking forward to seeing some standard gauge videos soon.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »
Did you put lights under for the O Gauge layout?

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2021, 12:09:07 PM »
I put string leds under the layout, but they run on 1.5 volts and don't do much. Those were cheap after christmas sale lights.

The coffee shop the dog and I go to has rope lights from Amazon that will work.

pjdog350

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2021, 02:12:02 PM »
Be sure to light up the o gauge.