Author Topic: Recent Additions  (Read 104410 times)

early0electric

• View Profile
Re: Recent Additions
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 02:02:48 PM »
Here's another one that shows up occasionally. The dark green 152/150 appears in Outfit 257. I have seen this on a few occasions. Here's an original one in my collection. So for some reason there was a run of these.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 05:05:56 PM »
I don't collect boxes, but that is a gorgeous set.

Jim has one of those short 152s listed on eBay right now.

The dark green short body also comes lettered for 158. I've seen two, and Marty also has one.

Here's mine:

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
Well, no YORK meet to go to next week so those of us that do, even those of us who don't, will be scouring eBay to satisfy their craving for something to add to our collections. Hopefully there will be new and exciting trains for us all to discover. All those dealers that won't be at YORK should have got together and created a site to show their trains for sale. I know a few of them have online or eBay sites but a one stop train seller site I think would be beneficial to all. Kind of like an online antique mall that has trains. They could at least post their website or eBay ID on it so we all would have someplace to search, especially from our favorite dealers! Something to think about.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 01:45:52 AM »
Mike  - I included the classified area because I thought it would grow into a good resource. The VW board I'm modelling has a great classified area.

I got the two cars with perforated steps I bought from Stout last month. I think the cars with perforated steps go with the 34 with the slide on light. Maybe they'd go with a round cab 1910, but I don't have one of those yet.

Here's the the locos.

Back is 34 with slide on light, middle is 34 with pedestal light, front is 33 with block letters and pedestal light. I think that 's the order of manufacture.

Here's the pullmans.

Check out the lack of door handles on the earlier cars. I think the maroon painted door was also made with door handles and 3-hole steps. That car might go between the two cars shown above.

All three 35 pullmans shown have different methods of making the steps. The first perforated steps are individually made and then  soldiered to the car floor in the corners. The first type of 3-hole step has two steps as one unit soldiered on to the bottom of the car.  You can see a line going across the bottom of the car between the inward edges of the doors. The 18/19/190 and 180 series cars are made this same way. The whole step subassembly becomes the floor of the vestibule.

The second type of 3-hole step is made with a shoulder that is soldiered to the car bottom. You can see that below.

Here's the differences in the observation railings.

The color looks different between the cars, but it's more of a difference in texture. I think this is actually a result of aging.

Note that everything here has crinkle hook couplers. Some the the cars have the couplers off and on again, but they seem correct.

Here's the three block lettered sets on the shelves:

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 05:56:18 AM »
I had 2 150-body 152's in dark green and had to make a hard choice, which to let go. I chose to keep the one with paint wear and nice lettering, and list to sell the one with nice paint and weak lettering.
Also showing my 150's in peacock and mojave. The mojave was alleged to have belonged to Lou Redman, when I bought it about 12 years ago, maybe longer.
Also showing 2 late 152's in different shades of dark gray, one with nickel handrails, other has brass.
Also a 150 with headlight stamped 158.

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 06:02:15 AM »
There are so many 35 36 variations, probably because they were made for a long duration.
Here are the pair with maroon doors and 3-hole steps (would gladly trade for pinhole..... Ha Ha Ha)
Also the version with Observation CAR on the 36, and cars with white plastic in the upper windows.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
Neat stuff Jim.  The more I talk about the dark green 158, the more there are.

I saw a lot on ebay with the maroon painted door 35/36 cars with a black 0-6-0 33 loco a while back. If you got yours as a set what loco came with them?

I know my set with the soldiered on 3-hole steps came with the block lettered 33, but the other sets didn't come with locos so I'm guessing about them.

I'm torn about the later 35/36 cars. Last year, I sold a boxed set with the dark olive 8 to raise money for the house. Then when I got the other  sets onto the shelves, I regretted selling them. Now that I have the room laid out, I'm looking at the later 35/36 sets as taking up valuable shelf space.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »
Jim, That's a real nice Mojave 150 you've got. I like it!

starfire700

• View Profile
    • ebay auctions
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 04:43:51 AM »
I have had all of my 35 36 cars a long while. None came in sets, as I recall.
I also have mostly early ones, and consider the later ones as just taking-up shelf space. Although, I wouldn't mind having a real nice maroon set. Likely they would come with a maroon 8.
The Mojave 150 was bought on ebay at least 12 years ago.

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »
That's a good start. You mentioned in your introduction that you're interested in repainting them. Those cars are a good start. I'd suggest painting the engine again too so the set matches.

The motor in the 253 is simple to fix. If the wheels are not decayed or swollen, that will run. If the wheels are bad, change the axles too!

I started repainting trains with whatever spray paint Kmart had that was close to the color I wanted. Kmart was the only store in walking distance. I tried that Charles Woods Collector Color paint, but it is color matched by a blind person. The Kmart paint was cheaper. If the color is wrong, you might as well save a few bucks.

Toward the end when I did restorations for hire, I only used color matched paint I had made at a auto paint store. I think last time I bought paint - about 2009 it was $80 for the blue to match my VW. I buy quarts because I'm young. I have quarts of color matched paint that were made in the late 1970s that are still good. I don't match black or silver, everything else is custom.

I'd suggest that you play with the cheap walmart or home depot spray paint first. Find out if you like repainting trains. The 248 or 250/252 sets with the 529/530 and 629/630 cars are also easy to repaint and go well with the short 4 wheel cars.

romiin

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 07:10:11 AM »
thanks Terry. Sounds like you have lots of experience.  Might be a dumb question.  I was wondering about the best way for paint removal, specially if it is chipped up.  Wasn't sure about just sanding the paint down, there seems to be some delicate spots on some cars, like fake rivets that might  get sanded off in the process.  Loco

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »
I just use paint stripper from home depot. I used to boil trains in water with powdered laundry detergent, but that makes too big a mess. The detergent makes a mild lye solution.

Brian told me about a facebook group that has become mostly people doing repaints. If he checks in maybe he can aim you at them.

early0electric

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
That 253 looks pretty nice. I'd probably leave it as it but anyway, nice find! Headlights aren't original but, whatever works. And yep, use stripper but protect yourself.

romiin

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 08:02:46 PM »
Thanks fellows. I picked it up today. I actually don't mind the color of the engine, someone didn't do to bad of job painting it. Cars are a bit chipped up, but it is 90 years old.  I did notice the roof lights are missing the screw that holds them down.  I did get a tranformer with the set, would this work with this train? tried to load a picture, but says its too large, oh well Loco

Terry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • eBay Auctions
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 08:47:05 PM »
Here's information about pictures:

https://www.train99.com/forum/index.php?topic=26.0